Sony Android KitKat Plan: Xperia Z, ZL, ZR, Tablet, T2 Ultra, E1 and M2 Confirmed; Xperia SP, T, TX, V Remains in the Dark
By Ryan Inoyori | March 21, 2014 1:41 PM EST
Sony Mobile is now seeding Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Xperia Z1, Z Ultra and Z1 Compact. And it is not ending there, Xperia Z/ZL/ZR, Tablet Z, T2 Ultra, E1 and M2 are also getting KitKat. Also, be reminded of the current status on Xperia SP, T/TX and V.
Live Updates for Xperia Z1, Z Ultra and Z1 Compact
It brings major improvements on the three smartphones from user interface to camera enhancements.
1. Google Android 4.4 KitKat default features such as better multitasking and optimisation.
2. Status Bar and Quick Settings tweaking for more intuitive and customisable user experience.
3. All-new user interface with PlayStation 4 launch animation and live wallpaper on both lock screen and home screen.
4. Latest versions of all Sony native such as Messaging, MyXperia, Smart Connect, Small Apps, Sony Select and Smart Social camera.
5. Improvements on all Sony media apps such as WALKMAN, Album and Movies, Sony Entertainment and PlayMemories.
6. More unique customisations using Xperia Themes via Sony Select and the Play Store.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat for Xperia Z1, Xperia Ultra and Z1 Compact is the first part of the upgrade plans of Sony for 2014.
Second Quarter 2014
According to Sony Mobile, Xperia Z, ZL, ZR and Tablet Z are all scheduled to receiving Android 4.4.2 KitKat by the second quarter of the year. Features may be the same on what users are now experiencing on Xperia Z1, Z Ultra and Z1 Compact.
In Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Sony Mobile unified the user interface, media apps, native apps and camera modes for all Sony Xperia devices such as having the same Xperia Themes, updated Small Apps and various changes on the user interface.
Moreover, owners of Xperia T2, E1 and M2 are also getting Android 4.4.2 KitKat and will begin firmware development very soon.
Sony Mobile is still investigating the possibility of including Xperia SP, T, TX and V on the Android 4.4.2 KitKat upgrade plan for 2014. If you visit the official Sony Web site for software support, all four smartphones are tagged with "under investigation."
Last month, these Xperia smartphones received a major firmware upgrade running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean after Sony Mobile skipped Android 4.2.2 version and went straight to Android 4.3 to deliver all the latest features including Project Butter and loads of camera modes.
It is possible that Sony could be calculating the time required developing Android KitKat firmware for the device and possible compatibility issues as some of these devices are nearing the expiration for software update support.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- New Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Released, Verizon Guide and Installation
- 'World Of Warcraft Warlords Of Draenor' Players Can Get The Free Character Boost Now And Still Upgrade To The Collector's Edition On Nov. 13, 2014, Plus The Horde Chopper Mount Will Only Be Available Until Sept. 30, 2014 [WATCH VIDEO]