Sony Android KitKat Plan: Xperia Z, ZL, ZR, Tablet, T2 Ultra, E1 and M2 Confirmed; Xperia SP, T, TX, V Remains in the Dark
By Ryan Inoyori | March 21, 2014 1:41 PM EST
Sony Mobile is now seeding Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Xperia Z1, Z Ultra and Z1 Compact. And it is not ending there, Xperia Z/ZL/ZR, Tablet Z, T2 Ultra, E1 and M2 are also getting KitKat. Also, be reminded of the current status on Xperia SP, T/TX and V.
Live Updates for Xperia Z1, Z Ultra and Z1 Compact
It brings major improvements on the three smartphones from user interface to camera enhancements.
1. Google Android 4.4 KitKat default features such as better multitasking and optimisation.
2. Status Bar and Quick Settings tweaking for more intuitive and customisable user experience.
3. All-new user interface with PlayStation 4 launch animation and live wallpaper on both lock screen and home screen.
4. Latest versions of all Sony native such as Messaging, MyXperia, Smart Connect, Small Apps, Sony Select and Smart Social camera.
5. Improvements on all Sony media apps such as WALKMAN, Album and Movies, Sony Entertainment and PlayMemories.
6. More unique customisations using Xperia Themes via Sony Select and the Play Store.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat for Xperia Z1, Xperia Ultra and Z1 Compact is the first part of the upgrade plans of Sony for 2014.
Second Quarter 2014
According to Sony Mobile, Xperia Z, ZL, ZR and Tablet Z are all scheduled to receiving Android 4.4.2 KitKat by the second quarter of the year. Features may be the same on what users are now experiencing on Xperia Z1, Z Ultra and Z1 Compact.
In Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Sony Mobile unified the user interface, media apps, native apps and camera modes for all Sony Xperia devices such as having the same Xperia Themes, updated Small Apps and various changes on the user interface.
Moreover, owners of Xperia T2, E1 and M2 are also getting Android 4.4.2 KitKat and will begin firmware development very soon.
Sony Mobile is still investigating the possibility of including Xperia SP, T, TX and V on the Android 4.4.2 KitKat upgrade plan for 2014. If you visit the official Sony Web site for software support, all four smartphones are tagged with "under investigation."
Last month, these Xperia smartphones received a major firmware upgrade running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean after Sony Mobile skipped Android 4.2.2 version and went straight to Android 4.3 to deliver all the latest features including Project Butter and loads of camera modes.
It is possible that Sony could be calculating the time required developing Android KitKat firmware for the device and possible compatibility issues as some of these devices are nearing the expiration for software update support.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire News: Meet Professor Birch Plus X and Y Updates
- Samsung Galaxy S5: Logitech Unveils Protection+ Case Accessory for Android Smartphone
- Sony Xperia Z Android 4.4.2 KitKat Battery Issue, How to Resolve and Future Firmware Upgrade
- Dragon Age 3 Inquisition: Flemeth, Tallis, the Warden and Champion of Kirkwall Possible Appearances
- Xbox One August Update Brings 3-D Blu-ray, Notifications and More; 20 Limited Edition Xbox Ones at SDCC
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People