Sony Android KitKat Plan: Xperia Z, ZL, ZR, Tablet, T2 Ultra, E1 and M2 Confirmed; Xperia SP, T, TX, V Remains in the Dark
By Ryan Inoyori | March 21, 2014 1:41 PM EST
Sony Mobile is now seeding Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Xperia Z1, Z Ultra and Z1 Compact. And it is not ending there, Xperia Z/ZL/ZR, Tablet Z, T2 Ultra, E1 and M2 are also getting KitKat. Also, be reminded of the current status on Xperia SP, T/TX and V.
Live Updates for Xperia Z1, Z Ultra and Z1 Compact
It brings major improvements on the three smartphones from user interface to camera enhancements.
1. Google Android 4.4 KitKat default features such as better multitasking and optimisation.
2. Status Bar and Quick Settings tweaking for more intuitive and customisable user experience.
3. All-new user interface with PlayStation 4 launch animation and live wallpaper on both lock screen and home screen.
4. Latest versions of all Sony native such as Messaging, MyXperia, Smart Connect, Small Apps, Sony Select and Smart Social camera.
5. Improvements on all Sony media apps such as WALKMAN, Album and Movies, Sony Entertainment and PlayMemories.
6. More unique customisations using Xperia Themes via Sony Select and the Play Store.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat for Xperia Z1, Xperia Ultra and Z1 Compact is the first part of the upgrade plans of Sony for 2014.
Second Quarter 2014
According to Sony Mobile, Xperia Z, ZL, ZR and Tablet Z are all scheduled to receiving Android 4.4.2 KitKat by the second quarter of the year. Features may be the same on what users are now experiencing on Xperia Z1, Z Ultra and Z1 Compact.
In Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Sony Mobile unified the user interface, media apps, native apps and camera modes for all Sony Xperia devices such as having the same Xperia Themes, updated Small Apps and various changes on the user interface.
Moreover, owners of Xperia T2, E1 and M2 are also getting Android 4.4.2 KitKat and will begin firmware development very soon.
Sony Mobile is still investigating the possibility of including Xperia SP, T, TX and V on the Android 4.4.2 KitKat upgrade plan for 2014. If you visit the official Sony Web site for software support, all four smartphones are tagged with "under investigation."
Last month, these Xperia smartphones received a major firmware upgrade running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean after Sony Mobile skipped Android 4.2.2 version and went straight to Android 4.3 to deliver all the latest features including Project Butter and loads of camera modes.
It is possible that Sony could be calculating the time required developing Android KitKat firmware for the device and possible compatibility issues as some of these devices are nearing the expiration for software update support.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Destiny’ Dev Holds Own Black Friday 2014 Sale As More The Dark Below Details Get Revealed
- The Pirate Bay Down In The US: TPB Crew Resolved The Routing Issues
- ‘GTA V' Title Update 1.04, Black Friday Sale And Heists DLC Release In December Possible
- Thanksgiving 2014: Five Ways To Take Better Photos With Smartphone Camera
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Best Buy,Target And Amazon Offer Huge Discounts On Tablets Like iPad Air 2, Shield Tablet, Surface Pro 3 And More