Rihanna Fighting a Legal Battle of Her Own
By Annie Dee | March 21, 2014 1:06 PM EST
Last month, it has been reported that Rihanna filed a lawsuit against her former accountant Peter Gounis of Berdon LLP for giving her unsound financial advice, prompting her to lose a humungous amount of $9M in one year. Now, the lawyer is fighting back and asking the court to throw the lawsuit out.
Maybe not like Chris Brown's and Justin Bieber's in scale and significance, but Rihanna is certainly also embittered in a legal battle on her own. The singer's accountant is now claiming that Rihanna did not lose that $9M by following the financial advice he'd given, but because she made a lot of bad decisions on her own, living way more than she should on parties and material possessions.
We all have been there, spending way more than we should, but could Rihanna really be blamed for losing all that money?
Rihanna pinpointed a completely different reason for losing money. For her, it is Gounis's fault for failing to give her a warning that her Last Girl on Earth tour would not earn her good money. This is why she had quit the tour to film an equally unsuccessful movie entitled "Battleship."
She is also blaming the accountant for letting her buy a Beverly Hills mansion that is already old and leaky for $7.5 M on 2009, when in fact, she only has $11M in cash at the beginning of the year. Her expenses also doubled during this time, leaving her with only $2M by the end of the year. She ended up selling the mansion at a $ million loss. This was why Rihanna felt she had to fire Berdon LLP in 2010 and sue her account, Gounis.
But the publication states that a document filed in Manhattan Federal Court: "Peter Gounis did not leave the tour to go act in a movie, Fenty did.' Robin Fenty is Rihanna's real name. In addition, the accountant also shared that Rihanna squandered huge amounts of money on designer clothes and jewellery."
According to the Daily News, he wrote: "At the core of her claim is this belief: someone else is responsible for her conduct and its consequences." But the accountant is warning against such an attitude. The accountant also says: "Was it really necessary to tell her that if you spend money for things you will end up with the things, and not the money?"
Now that the 26-year old is worth $46 million, can Rihanna just let the lawsuit drop?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers