Rihanna Fighting a Legal Battle of Her Own
By Annie Dee | March 21, 2014 1:06 PM EST
Last month, it has been reported that Rihanna filed a lawsuit against her former accountant Peter Gounis of Berdon LLP for giving her unsound financial advice, prompting her to lose a humungous amount of $9M in one year. Now, the lawyer is fighting back and asking the court to throw the lawsuit out.
Maybe not like Chris Brown's and Justin Bieber's in scale and significance, but Rihanna is certainly also embittered in a legal battle on her own. The singer's accountant is now claiming that Rihanna did not lose that $9M by following the financial advice he'd given, but because she made a lot of bad decisions on her own, living way more than she should on parties and material possessions.
We all have been there, spending way more than we should, but could Rihanna really be blamed for losing all that money?
Rihanna pinpointed a completely different reason for losing money. For her, it is Gounis's fault for failing to give her a warning that her Last Girl on Earth tour would not earn her good money. This is why she had quit the tour to film an equally unsuccessful movie entitled "Battleship."
She is also blaming the accountant for letting her buy a Beverly Hills mansion that is already old and leaky for $7.5 M on 2009, when in fact, she only has $11M in cash at the beginning of the year. Her expenses also doubled during this time, leaving her with only $2M by the end of the year. She ended up selling the mansion at a $ million loss. This was why Rihanna felt she had to fire Berdon LLP in 2010 and sue her account, Gounis.
But the publication states that a document filed in Manhattan Federal Court: "Peter Gounis did not leave the tour to go act in a movie, Fenty did.' Robin Fenty is Rihanna's real name. In addition, the accountant also shared that Rihanna squandered huge amounts of money on designer clothes and jewellery."
According to the Daily News, he wrote: "At the core of her claim is this belief: someone else is responsible for her conduct and its consequences." But the accountant is warning against such an attitude. The accountant also says: "Was it really necessary to tell her that if you spend money for things you will end up with the things, and not the money?"
Now that the 26-year old is worth $46 million, can Rihanna just let the lawsuit drop?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Elimination Recap: Redfoo’s Acts in the Bottom 2; Ed Sheeran, The Veronicas, AJR Guest Star [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2: Jessica Talks After Her Shocking Elimination
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes