Rihanna Fighting a Legal Battle of Her Own
By Annie Dee | March 21, 2014 1:06 PM EST
Last month, it has been reported that Rihanna filed a lawsuit against her former accountant Peter Gounis of Berdon LLP for giving her unsound financial advice, prompting her to lose a humungous amount of $9M in one year. Now, the lawyer is fighting back and asking the court to throw the lawsuit out.
Maybe not like Chris Brown's and Justin Bieber's in scale and significance, but Rihanna is certainly also embittered in a legal battle on her own. The singer's accountant is now claiming that Rihanna did not lose that $9M by following the financial advice he'd given, but because she made a lot of bad decisions on her own, living way more than she should on parties and material possessions.
We all have been there, spending way more than we should, but could Rihanna really be blamed for losing all that money?
Rihanna pinpointed a completely different reason for losing money. For her, it is Gounis's fault for failing to give her a warning that her Last Girl on Earth tour would not earn her good money. This is why she had quit the tour to film an equally unsuccessful movie entitled "Battleship."
She is also blaming the accountant for letting her buy a Beverly Hills mansion that is already old and leaky for $7.5 M on 2009, when in fact, she only has $11M in cash at the beginning of the year. Her expenses also doubled during this time, leaving her with only $2M by the end of the year. She ended up selling the mansion at a $ million loss. This was why Rihanna felt she had to fire Berdon LLP in 2010 and sue her account, Gounis.
But the publication states that a document filed in Manhattan Federal Court: "Peter Gounis did not leave the tour to go act in a movie, Fenty did.' Robin Fenty is Rihanna's real name. In addition, the accountant also shared that Rihanna squandered huge amounts of money on designer clothes and jewellery."
According to the Daily News, he wrote: "At the core of her claim is this belief: someone else is responsible for her conduct and its consequences." But the accountant is warning against such an attitude. The accountant also says: "Was it really necessary to tell her that if you spend money for things you will end up with the things, and not the money?"
Now that the 26-year old is worth $46 million, can Rihanna just let the lawsuit drop?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS