Lil Wayne to Retire Soon, Dethroned as ‘The Best Rapper Alive’
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 21, 2014 12:39 PM EST
American rapper Lil Wayne, known for his flamboyance on and off the stage, believed that he's no longer the best rapper alive and insisted that it's now the time for the other artists to take the spotlight.
In an interview with journalist Elliott Wilson's CRWN last week, Wayne admitted that he's no longer the Alpha Dog of the rapping industry - the title he claimed when he launched his first album under YMCMB imprint.
Young Money stressed that the centre stage now belongs to his artists such as Nicki Minaj and Drake who already sold 10 million records around the world under his recording label.
"Because I have awesome artists, simple and plain. I'm not trying to outshine them at all." Wayne told CRWN. "At that time. I didn't have that [awesome artist to look out for]," he said. "So when I was saying it like that, I was like 'I don't care who was on the mic.' Now I have artists that I feel like 'I want you to be better than me."
Wayne also gave the reasons behind the signing of Drizzy who has become a juggernaut in the music industry in just few years since he was launched as a rapping star.
"His talent, obviously that's what I look for. Not to mention he's a wonderful person, but this is music, this is what we do. All the other stuff come with the other stuff, but as you can see, I don't be worrying about stuff like that. I'm just an artist. I just want you to enjoy my music and nothing else. I'm not expecting you to enjoy my lifestyle. I'm not expecting you to enjoy what I do off the mic or off stage."
Lil Wayne also admitted he didn't see something special in Minaj few years back, but he's proud 'The Starship' singer proved him wrong as she became not only the best female rapper but among the finest rappers in the industry.
"She was being Nicki, that's who I met," recalled the New Orleans native. "That was without the glitz and the glamour. When I first heard the first two and four bars, it wasn't about 'she's rapping better than any female rapper;' she's rapping better than the rappers. Period."
The 31-year-old Wayne is set to retire as a solo artist as he will be releasing the Carter V - his last album scheduled for release in May.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Katy Perry's Date Riff Raff At MTV VMAs: Top 5 Things To Know About The Rapper
- ‘True Blood’: Identity Of Sookie’s Husband In Final Episode Thank You Revealed
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Spoilers: Juice Ratting Gemma Out To Jax, Unser Helping New Sheriff
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Spoilers: Cersei Lannister – Possible Deviation From The Books
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected