Tennis News 2014: Roger Federer Slams Critics and Says He’s Still Playing Good Tennis
By Rachelle Corpuz | March 21, 2014 12:33 PM EST
Superstar athletes are always the victims of many criticisms especially when their performances fall short or below than their previous ones. Roger Federer, who was once hailed as the top-ranked athlete in the world of tennis, had a fair share of criticisms in his professional career. Federer had his share of critics, and this is what he had to say to them, "I'm still playing good tennis."
Roger Federer of Switzerland celebrates after defeating Tomas Berdych of Czech Republic in their men's singles final match at the ATP Dubai Tennis Championships, March 1, 2014. REUTERS/Ahmed Jadallah
FC Barcelona Centre-Back Gerard Piqué Overly Possessive With Wife Shakira, Won’t Let Her Do Music Videos with Sexy Men Anymore
To all tennis enthusiasts, it is no secret that Federer had a disappointing 2013 season. It can be attributed to his back injuries that had prevented him to play at his top level, making him miss a major final in his career for the first time since 2002. As a result, he had suffered a huge five-place drop in the world rankings, his lowest in the last decade. Sport analysts even suggested that Federer should hang up his tennis rackets if he doesn't do well in the 2014 season.
Federer last played in the Indian Wells or also known as the 2014 BNP Paribas Open. He reached the finals but lost to second-ranked player Novak Djokovic. The National Post reported that Federer could have felt disappointed about losing in the finals but instead, the Swiss athlete is reportedly happy with his current performance, knowing that he had come this far after he first injured his back in 2013 at Indian Wells which had caused him his disappointing 2013 season.
Federer told the publication that he was once worried and concerned about his career, but he thought that he shouldn't feel that way forever. "It was just important to stay patient and wait," he said.
The 32-year-old athlete said that he was aware that a lot of people were suggesting that he should retire, but he just shrugged it off.
"A few weeks ago, months ago, a few people said I couldn't play tennis anymore," Federer said.
The 17-time Grand Slam champion said that he still has the determination to play and the drive to win. "Right now, I have that," he said. "I think I have a really good balance right now," he added.
Federer's 2014 season looks strong and promising. He reached the finals of the Brisbane International, played against Rafael Nadal in the semifinals of the Australian Open, won the title in the Dubai Tennis Championships and played against Djokovic in the finals of the BNP Paribas Open. As a result of his current performance, he moved up three notches in the current Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) rankings. Federer now sits at the fifth spot.
Federer is pleased because he knows that he is playing consistent tennis. He said he's going deep in tournaments, and he's giving himself opportunities to win.
"I'm playing really good tennis," said Federer.
Federer will participate next in the 2014 Sony Open. With his determination and drive, who knows, maybe he will come away with another victory soon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS