Tennis News 2014: Roger Federer Slams Critics and Says He’s Still Playing Good Tennis
By Rachelle Corpuz | March 21, 2014 12:33 PM EST
Superstar athletes are always the victims of many criticisms especially when their performances fall short or below than their previous ones. Roger Federer, who was once hailed as the top-ranked athlete in the world of tennis, had a fair share of criticisms in his professional career. Federer had his share of critics, and this is what he had to say to them, "I'm still playing good tennis."
Roger Federer of Switzerland celebrates after defeating Tomas Berdych of Czech Republic in their men's singles final match at the ATP Dubai Tennis Championships, March 1, 2014. REUTERS/Ahmed Jadallah
FC Barcelona Centre-Back Gerard Piqué Overly Possessive With Wife Shakira, Won’t Let Her Do Music Videos with Sexy Men Anymore
To all tennis enthusiasts, it is no secret that Federer had a disappointing 2013 season. It can be attributed to his back injuries that had prevented him to play at his top level, making him miss a major final in his career for the first time since 2002. As a result, he had suffered a huge five-place drop in the world rankings, his lowest in the last decade. Sport analysts even suggested that Federer should hang up his tennis rackets if he doesn't do well in the 2014 season.
Federer last played in the Indian Wells or also known as the 2014 BNP Paribas Open. He reached the finals but lost to second-ranked player Novak Djokovic. The National Post reported that Federer could have felt disappointed about losing in the finals but instead, the Swiss athlete is reportedly happy with his current performance, knowing that he had come this far after he first injured his back in 2013 at Indian Wells which had caused him his disappointing 2013 season.
Federer told the publication that he was once worried and concerned about his career, but he thought that he shouldn't feel that way forever. "It was just important to stay patient and wait," he said.
The 32-year-old athlete said that he was aware that a lot of people were suggesting that he should retire, but he just shrugged it off.
"A few weeks ago, months ago, a few people said I couldn't play tennis anymore," Federer said.
The 17-time Grand Slam champion said that he still has the determination to play and the drive to win. "Right now, I have that," he said. "I think I have a really good balance right now," he added.
Federer's 2014 season looks strong and promising. He reached the finals of the Brisbane International, played against Rafael Nadal in the semifinals of the Australian Open, won the title in the Dubai Tennis Championships and played against Djokovic in the finals of the BNP Paribas Open. As a result of his current performance, he moved up three notches in the current Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) rankings. Federer now sits at the fifth spot.
Federer is pleased because he knows that he is playing consistent tennis. He said he's going deep in tournaments, and he's giving himself opportunities to win.
"I'm playing really good tennis," said Federer.
Federer will participate next in the 2014 Sony Open. With his determination and drive, who knows, maybe he will come away with another victory soon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- WWE SummerSlam: Orton Vs Reigns Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date