Vodafone Cuts Overseas Roaming Rate to $1 per Minute in 200 Countries
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 21, 2014 10:22 AM EST
Telecom giant Vodafone will cut the roaming charges for its pre- and post-paid subscribers to $1 per megabyte for a one-minute call. The new rate, which takes effect on March 23, would cut the 20 different call rates of Vodafone covering 200 different countries.
A man and two passengers ride on a scooter past a shop displaying the Vodafone logo on its shutter in Jammu. Reuters
Among the countries covered are Fiji, Vietnam, India and Canada.
It also offers a $5 per day roaming pack applicable in 46 countries outside the 200 but is available only to post-paid plan subscribers under its Roam Like Home plan. The 46 countries include the UK, most of Europe, New Zealand, the U.S. and 6 Asian nations.
In mid-2013, Vodafone offered Red plans with Rome Like Home features priced at $65, $80 and $100.
Commenting on the new rates, ITWire pointed out that at 1,024 megabytes per gigabyte, A$1,024 is still quite costly but still cheaper than the $3 per MB or $3,000 per GB offered by some carriers. But it only applies if the phone owner uses full data allowance.
In comparison, Telstra's new roaming rates, which take effect on March 24, would range from $1.50 to $5 per minute for voice calls and $29 per 100 MB for a 30-day data pack.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight