Vodafone Cuts Overseas Roaming Rate to $1 per Minute in 200 Countries
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 21, 2014 10:22 AM EST
Telecom giant Vodafone will cut the roaming charges for its pre- and post-paid subscribers to $1 per megabyte for a one-minute call. The new rate, which takes effect on March 23, would cut the 20 different call rates of Vodafone covering 200 different countries.
A man and two passengers ride on a scooter past a shop displaying the Vodafone logo on its shutter in Jammu. Reuters
Among the countries covered are Fiji, Vietnam, India and Canada.
It also offers a $5 per day roaming pack applicable in 46 countries outside the 200 but is available only to post-paid plan subscribers under its Roam Like Home plan. The 46 countries include the UK, most of Europe, New Zealand, the U.S. and 6 Asian nations.
In mid-2013, Vodafone offered Red plans with Rome Like Home features priced at $65, $80 and $100.
Commenting on the new rates, ITWire pointed out that at 1,024 megabytes per gigabyte, A$1,024 is still quite costly but still cheaper than the $3 per MB or $3,000 per GB offered by some carriers. But it only applies if the phone owner uses full data allowance.
In comparison, Telstra's new roaming rates, which take effect on March 24, would range from $1.50 to $5 per minute for voice calls and $29 per 100 MB for a 30-day data pack.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Down Under – Meet The First People To Have The Newest iPhones
- Masayoshi Son Is Japan’s Richest Man As Softbank Shares Surge Ahead Of Alibaba IPO; More Millionaires Among Alibaba Employees On The Way
- Ex-Male Strippers For Rent At $125/Hour To Act As ManServants
- Alibaba Hikes IPO Price Range To $66-$68 From $60-$66
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design