Vodafone Cuts Overseas Roaming Rate to $1 per Minute in 200 Countries
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 21, 2014 10:22 AM EST
Telecom giant Vodafone will cut the roaming charges for its pre- and post-paid subscribers to $1 per megabyte for a one-minute call. The new rate, which takes effect on March 23, would cut the 20 different call rates of Vodafone covering 200 different countries.
A man and two passengers ride on a scooter past a shop displaying the Vodafone logo on its shutter in Jammu. Reuters
Among the countries covered are Fiji, Vietnam, India and Canada.
It also offers a $5 per day roaming pack applicable in 46 countries outside the 200 but is available only to post-paid plan subscribers under its Roam Like Home plan. The 46 countries include the UK, most of Europe, New Zealand, the U.S. and 6 Asian nations.
In mid-2013, Vodafone offered Red plans with Rome Like Home features priced at $65, $80 and $100.
Commenting on the new rates, ITWire pointed out that at 1,024 megabytes per gigabyte, A$1,024 is still quite costly but still cheaper than the $3 per MB or $3,000 per GB offered by some carriers. But it only applies if the phone owner uses full data allowance.
In comparison, Telstra's new roaming rates, which take effect on March 24, would range from $1.50 to $5 per minute for voice calls and $29 per 100 MB for a 30-day data pack.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- #Snapgate: iPad Air 2 Breaks While Undergoing Bend Test
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS