Vodafone Cuts Overseas Roaming Rate to $1 per Minute in 200 Countries
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 21, 2014 10:22 AM EST
Telecom giant Vodafone will cut the roaming charges for its pre- and post-paid subscribers to $1 per megabyte for a one-minute call. The new rate, which takes effect on March 23, would cut the 20 different call rates of Vodafone covering 200 different countries.
A man and two passengers ride on a scooter past a shop displaying the Vodafone logo on its shutter in Jammu. Reuters
Among the countries covered are Fiji, Vietnam, India and Canada.
It also offers a $5 per day roaming pack applicable in 46 countries outside the 200 but is available only to post-paid plan subscribers under its Roam Like Home plan. The 46 countries include the UK, most of Europe, New Zealand, the U.S. and 6 Asian nations.
In mid-2013, Vodafone offered Red plans with Rome Like Home features priced at $65, $80 and $100.
Commenting on the new rates, ITWire pointed out that at 1,024 megabytes per gigabyte, A$1,024 is still quite costly but still cheaper than the $3 per MB or $3,000 per GB offered by some carriers. But it only applies if the phone owner uses full data allowance.
In comparison, Telstra's new roaming rates, which take effect on March 24, would range from $1.50 to $5 per minute for voice calls and $29 per 100 MB for a 30-day data pack.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools