Boxing News: Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao to Earn $50M Minimum For Future Showdown
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 21, 2014 12:14 AM EST
The showdown between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. could earn both fighters to have at least $50 million each, if this bout pushes through in the next two years, a source recently cited.
Pacquiao, who is in heat in preparing for his rematch with WBO Welterweight Champion Tim Bradley, could be back in the hunt for a possible slugfest with Mayweather, more so if he avenges his controversial loss to the Desert Storm in a stunning fashion on April 12 at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Manny Pacquiao will face Tim Bradley on April 12
According to Inquisitr, the Pacquiao vs. Mayweather match could surpass $100 million in guaranteed fight purse to be split between both fighters.
Money May, considered the most marketable boxer in his generation, has been raising the bar higher every time he climbs to the ring in the past three matches.
In his showdown against Saul Canelo Alvarez, Mayweather earned nearly $90 million, including a guaranteed fight purse worth $41.5 million. But the bout money he received against Canelo will stay unbreakable unless he finally accepts a mano-y-mano battle with the eight-time division world champion.
Justin Fortune, who reassumed his role as the chief conditioning trainer of Pacquiao, believed Mayweather has something to prove before he asserts his claim as the best boxer in this generation. The former heavyweight contender stressed that Money May have to defeat Pacquiao, or else he will remain a second-tier boxer in the all-time pound-for-pound list.
"As far as I'm concerned, Mayweather can't go around saying he's the best until he fights the best and for me, Manny's the best," Fortune told reporters in his recent interview with the Inquisitr.
Top-Rank Promoter Bob Arum pointed out that they are no impediment for the fight to happen, stressing Mayweather has the final say if he's really interested to fight Pacquiao.
"On our side the answer is yes [he fight can be made in 2014], we're very open to it," Arum told the media after the win over Rios via the Inquisitr.
"There are ways it can get done, they have to dumb down the rhetoric, we are prepared to dumb down the rhetoric and get it done. There is no real impediment to having that fight happen whether it will or not depends completely on the Mayweather side. I can see it happening but I can't predict that it will happen because it takes two to tango."
Mayweather asserted Pacquiao's only chance of fighting him is to leave Arum's stable.
Pacquiao, whose current contract with Top-Rank is set to expire after 2014, might be thinking of bolting out of his current stable to set the stage for what the boxing world considers as the "Fight of the Century."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers