Boxing News: Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao to Earn $50M Minimum For Future Showdown
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 21, 2014 12:14 AM EST
The showdown between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. could earn both fighters to have at least $50 million each, if this bout pushes through in the next two years, a source recently cited.
Pacquiao, who is in heat in preparing for his rematch with WBO Welterweight Champion Tim Bradley, could be back in the hunt for a possible slugfest with Mayweather, more so if he avenges his controversial loss to the Desert Storm in a stunning fashion on April 12 at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Manny Pacquiao will face Tim Bradley on April 12
According to Inquisitr, the Pacquiao vs. Mayweather match could surpass $100 million in guaranteed fight purse to be split between both fighters.
Money May, considered the most marketable boxer in his generation, has been raising the bar higher every time he climbs to the ring in the past three matches.
In his showdown against Saul Canelo Alvarez, Mayweather earned nearly $90 million, including a guaranteed fight purse worth $41.5 million. But the bout money he received against Canelo will stay unbreakable unless he finally accepts a mano-y-mano battle with the eight-time division world champion.
Justin Fortune, who reassumed his role as the chief conditioning trainer of Pacquiao, believed Mayweather has something to prove before he asserts his claim as the best boxer in this generation. The former heavyweight contender stressed that Money May have to defeat Pacquiao, or else he will remain a second-tier boxer in the all-time pound-for-pound list.
"As far as I'm concerned, Mayweather can't go around saying he's the best until he fights the best and for me, Manny's the best," Fortune told reporters in his recent interview with the Inquisitr.
Top-Rank Promoter Bob Arum pointed out that they are no impediment for the fight to happen, stressing Mayweather has the final say if he's really interested to fight Pacquiao.
"On our side the answer is yes [he fight can be made in 2014], we're very open to it," Arum told the media after the win over Rios via the Inquisitr.
"There are ways it can get done, they have to dumb down the rhetoric, we are prepared to dumb down the rhetoric and get it done. There is no real impediment to having that fight happen whether it will or not depends completely on the Mayweather side. I can see it happening but I can't predict that it will happen because it takes two to tango."
Mayweather asserted Pacquiao's only chance of fighting him is to leave Arum's stable.
Pacquiao, whose current contract with Top-Rank is set to expire after 2014, might be thinking of bolting out of his current stable to set the stage for what the boxing world considers as the "Fight of the Century."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports