Boxing News: Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao to Earn $50M Minimum For Future Showdown
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 21, 2014 12:14 AM EST
The showdown between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. could earn both fighters to have at least $50 million each, if this bout pushes through in the next two years, a source recently cited.
Pacquiao, who is in heat in preparing for his rematch with WBO Welterweight Champion Tim Bradley, could be back in the hunt for a possible slugfest with Mayweather, more so if he avenges his controversial loss to the Desert Storm in a stunning fashion on April 12 at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Manny Pacquiao will face Tim Bradley on April 12
According to Inquisitr, the Pacquiao vs. Mayweather match could surpass $100 million in guaranteed fight purse to be split between both fighters.
Money May, considered the most marketable boxer in his generation, has been raising the bar higher every time he climbs to the ring in the past three matches.
In his showdown against Saul Canelo Alvarez, Mayweather earned nearly $90 million, including a guaranteed fight purse worth $41.5 million. But the bout money he received against Canelo will stay unbreakable unless he finally accepts a mano-y-mano battle with the eight-time division world champion.
Justin Fortune, who reassumed his role as the chief conditioning trainer of Pacquiao, believed Mayweather has something to prove before he asserts his claim as the best boxer in this generation. The former heavyweight contender stressed that Money May have to defeat Pacquiao, or else he will remain a second-tier boxer in the all-time pound-for-pound list.
"As far as I'm concerned, Mayweather can't go around saying he's the best until he fights the best and for me, Manny's the best," Fortune told reporters in his recent interview with the Inquisitr.
Top-Rank Promoter Bob Arum pointed out that they are no impediment for the fight to happen, stressing Mayweather has the final say if he's really interested to fight Pacquiao.
"On our side the answer is yes [he fight can be made in 2014], we're very open to it," Arum told the media after the win over Rios via the Inquisitr.
"There are ways it can get done, they have to dumb down the rhetoric, we are prepared to dumb down the rhetoric and get it done. There is no real impediment to having that fight happen whether it will or not depends completely on the Mayweather side. I can see it happening but I can't predict that it will happen because it takes two to tango."
Mayweather asserted Pacquiao's only chance of fighting him is to leave Arum's stable.
Pacquiao, whose current contract with Top-Rank is set to expire after 2014, might be thinking of bolting out of his current stable to set the stage for what the boxing world considers as the "Fight of the Century."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Manchester United Defender Phil Jones Fit To Play Versus Everton
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build