UN: Hundreds of Millions Will Relocate Due to Global Famine, Conflict And Violence
By Reissa Su | March 20, 2014 11:57 PM EST
A United Nations report has warned that climate change will force millions of people to relocate triggering famine, inciting conflict and losing trillions of dollars-worth of economic gains.
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) will finalize the draft of the UN report within the month.
A copy of the report has been provided to Britain's The Independent. The draft said hundreds of millions of the population will be displaced due to coastal flooding and loss of land as sea levels continue to rise.
The "irreversible" damage due to climate change will cause economic shocks and severe poverty may lead to mass migration. The risk of violence may increase from protests triggered by international or civil conflicts.
Prof. Lesley Hughes from Macquarie University and the report's lead author had declined to comment on the details but noted scientists believe that climate was shifting since the system was "very different" from what it was 30 or 40 years ago.
Greenland's ice sheet is rapidly melting and no longer stable. According to a new study, the rise in sea levels will begin to accelerate because of Greenland's thinning ice sheet.
Scientists have already known that Greenland's ice sheet has been melting for decades. But this was the first time that they've discovered that the melting was also happening in the northern region of the world's second biggest ice sheet. The findings revealed the ice loss in Greenland's northern region has almost tripled.
In 2013, the IPCC was commissioned by UN to make scientific assessments on climate change risks. The group released a report stating that oceans rose in temperature from 1971 to 2010. The UN panel observed the recent warming trends and observed the result of rising levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.
The latest UN report on climate change is expected to be released soon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- 'Human Skull' Found On Mars [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting: UFO Spotted Above Las Vegas, Nevada
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Alien Toy Doll Found On Mars [Watch Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia