UN: Hundreds of Millions Will Relocate Due to Global Famine, Conflict And Violence
By Reissa Su | March 20, 2014 11:57 PM EST
A United Nations report has warned that climate change will force millions of people to relocate triggering famine, inciting conflict and losing trillions of dollars-worth of economic gains.
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) will finalize the draft of the UN report within the month.
A copy of the report has been provided to Britain's The Independent. The draft said hundreds of millions of the population will be displaced due to coastal flooding and loss of land as sea levels continue to rise.
The "irreversible" damage due to climate change will cause economic shocks and severe poverty may lead to mass migration. The risk of violence may increase from protests triggered by international or civil conflicts.
Prof. Lesley Hughes from Macquarie University and the report's lead author had declined to comment on the details but noted scientists believe that climate was shifting since the system was "very different" from what it was 30 or 40 years ago.
Greenland's ice sheet is rapidly melting and no longer stable. According to a new study, the rise in sea levels will begin to accelerate because of Greenland's thinning ice sheet.
Scientists have already known that Greenland's ice sheet has been melting for decades. But this was the first time that they've discovered that the melting was also happening in the northern region of the world's second biggest ice sheet. The findings revealed the ice loss in Greenland's northern region has almost tripled.
In 2013, the IPCC was commissioned by UN to make scientific assessments on climate change risks. The group released a report stating that oceans rose in temperature from 1971 to 2010. The UN panel observed the recent warming trends and observed the result of rising levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.
The latest UN report on climate change is expected to be released soon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO With Changing Colours Sighted By Lower Paxton Township Police In Pennsylvania
- Ice Bucket Challenge Toddler Scarlett-Rose Davis Who Uses F-Word Apologises - Watch Original Video
- Musician Tom DeLonge Encounters Multiple UFOs in San Diego
- New Nail Polish Changes Colour When Exposed to Date-Rape Drugs: Helps Women Safety
- Groundbreaking Discovery of New Monuments at the Stonehenge: The Mystery of the Stonehenge Could be Solved
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]