UN: Hundreds of Millions Will Relocate Due to Global Famine, Conflict And Violence
By Reissa Su | March 20, 2014 11:57 PM EST
A United Nations report has warned that climate change will force millions of people to relocate triggering famine, inciting conflict and losing trillions of dollars-worth of economic gains.
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) will finalize the draft of the UN report within the month.
A copy of the report has been provided to Britain's The Independent. The draft said hundreds of millions of the population will be displaced due to coastal flooding and loss of land as sea levels continue to rise.
The "irreversible" damage due to climate change will cause economic shocks and severe poverty may lead to mass migration. The risk of violence may increase from protests triggered by international or civil conflicts.
Prof. Lesley Hughes from Macquarie University and the report's lead author had declined to comment on the details but noted scientists believe that climate was shifting since the system was "very different" from what it was 30 or 40 years ago.
Greenland's ice sheet is rapidly melting and no longer stable. According to a new study, the rise in sea levels will begin to accelerate because of Greenland's thinning ice sheet.
Scientists have already known that Greenland's ice sheet has been melting for decades. But this was the first time that they've discovered that the melting was also happening in the northern region of the world's second biggest ice sheet. The findings revealed the ice loss in Greenland's northern region has almost tripled.
In 2013, the IPCC was commissioned by UN to make scientific assessments on climate change risks. The group released a report stating that oceans rose in temperature from 1971 to 2010. The UN panel observed the recent warming trends and observed the result of rising levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.
The latest UN report on climate change is expected to be released soon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’