Khushwant Singh Death: Top 5 Books by the Writer
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 20, 2014 11:32 PM EST
Noted Indian writer and journalist, Khushwant Singh, who was known for his humour and love for poetry, passed away at the age of 99 at his Delhi residence on 20 March, 2014. He wrote more than 100 books and several short story collections in a time spanning over five decades.
Khushwant Singh, India's best known columnist, speaks to Reuters during an interview in New Delhi. His friends call him the grand old man of Indian literature, while critics dismiss him as just dirty old man.
A recipient of Padma Vibhushan, India's second-highest civilian award, Singh's last book was "The Good, the Bad and the Ridiculous," which he co-authored with Humra Qureshi and was published in 2013.
Here are top five books of the writer:
1) "Train to Pakistan": It is a historical novel published in 1956. Set during the Partition of India in 1947, Khushwant Singh portrayed the reality and gave a human dimension to the chaotic period.
2) "The History of Sikhs": Published in 1963, this book based on research is considered as his most inclusive work on Sikhs. Another volume called "A History of Sikhs" was published in 1963. His style of writing suits common man too.
3) "I Shall Not Hear the Nightingale": This novel published in 1959 is set during the British rule. It is about a magistrate who is loyal to Britishers. However, he is left in a dilemma after the arrest of his nationalistic son, who believes in driving out the Britishers with guns.
4) "Truth, Love and a Little Malice": It is an autobiography and not a novel, but he describes the fall of events in his life in such an authentic manner that it makes a good read.
5) "Why I Supported the Emergency": It is a collection of essays on India's Emergency and was published in 2004, when he turned 89. The book edited by Sheela Reddy is thought provoking and bold in every sense, as he exposed the pros and cons of the time.
Khushwant Singh also wrote books like "Delhi", "Khushwant Singh on Women, Love and Lust", "The Company of Women," and several others.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia