WATCH: SpiceJet’s Mid-Air Holi Celebration Dance Videos by Crew Members Go Viral; Airliner Slammed for Violating Safety Rules
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 20, 2014 9:43 PM EST
On Wednesday, SpiceJet was issued a show-cause notice by the country's aviation regulatory body, seeking clarification on why its licence should not be suspended for what has been termed as a violation of safety rules, during its special Holi flights.
Spice Jets mid-air Holi celebration and dance video
Prabhat Kumar, the director general of civil aviation, summoned SpiceJet officials to explain why the airline had allowed the cabin crew onboard its flights to perform a dance routine as a part of the Holi celebrations.
As soon as the news appeared, videos, in which the crew members are seen dancing onboard the airplane, have gone viral. Here is one of the videos:
Here is a slightly longer video, circulating online.
"We have issued a show-cause notice to them (spice jet today asking why their licence should not be suspended, " Live Mint quoted a senior official of the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) as saying.
"They conducted eight flights on which there was dance in the aisle area harming passenger safety. The flights were reduced to a mockery, the centre of gravity of the aircraft could have been impacted," the official said. "Mobiles were used to capture the show in violation of our rules. The dance could have provoked passengers into unruly behavior. The captain came out and was dancing outside the cockpit."
SpiceJet, known as the second largest low-fare airlines, now has to reply to the notice within a fortnight, after which a decision will be taken on the whether or not to cancel its license.
DGCA has suspended two SpiceJet pilots, including a captain, pending investigation. The airliner, which has 57 planes and runs 350 daily flights, ran the 'special Holi' flights on 17 March.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- MH370 Search Update: Was Reported That Experts Claim To Know The Possible Location; Suggest Authorities To Look ‘Further South In The Indian Ocean’
- 2014 Lunar Eclipse: Where To Best View Total Lunar Eclipse Peak On October 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Duchess Forced By The Queen To Be Out In The Public Again
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money