WATCH: SpiceJet’s Mid-Air Holi Celebration Dance Videos by Crew Members Go Viral; Airliner Slammed for Violating Safety Rules
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 20, 2014 9:43 PM EST
On Wednesday, SpiceJet was issued a show-cause notice by the country's aviation regulatory body, seeking clarification on why its licence should not be suspended for what has been termed as a violation of safety rules, during its special Holi flights.
Spice Jets mid-air Holi celebration and dance video
Prabhat Kumar, the director general of civil aviation, summoned SpiceJet officials to explain why the airline had allowed the cabin crew onboard its flights to perform a dance routine as a part of the Holi celebrations.
As soon as the news appeared, videos, in which the crew members are seen dancing onboard the airplane, have gone viral. Here is one of the videos:
Here is a slightly longer video, circulating online.
"We have issued a show-cause notice to them (spice jet today asking why their licence should not be suspended, " Live Mint quoted a senior official of the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) as saying.
"They conducted eight flights on which there was dance in the aisle area harming passenger safety. The flights were reduced to a mockery, the centre of gravity of the aircraft could have been impacted," the official said. "Mobiles were used to capture the show in violation of our rules. The dance could have provoked passengers into unruly behavior. The captain came out and was dancing outside the cockpit."
SpiceJet, known as the second largest low-fare airlines, now has to reply to the notice within a fortnight, after which a decision will be taken on the whether or not to cancel its license.
DGCA has suspended two SpiceJet pilots, including a captain, pending investigation. The airliner, which has 57 planes and runs 350 daily flights, ran the 'special Holi' flights on 17 March.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Jealous, Duchess Only Good At Making Babies--- Report
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone
- iPhone 6 Plus Phablet Features Only 1 GB RAM