WATCH: SpiceJet’s Mid-Air Holi Celebration Dance Videos by Crew Members Go Viral; Airliner Slammed for Violating Safety Rules
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 20, 2014 9:43 PM EST
On Wednesday, SpiceJet was issued a show-cause notice by the country's aviation regulatory body, seeking clarification on why its licence should not be suspended for what has been termed as a violation of safety rules, during its special Holi flights.
Spice Jets mid-air Holi celebration and dance video
Prabhat Kumar, the director general of civil aviation, summoned SpiceJet officials to explain why the airline had allowed the cabin crew onboard its flights to perform a dance routine as a part of the Holi celebrations.
As soon as the news appeared, videos, in which the crew members are seen dancing onboard the airplane, have gone viral. Here is one of the videos:
Here is a slightly longer video, circulating online.
"We have issued a show-cause notice to them (spice jet today asking why their licence should not be suspended, " Live Mint quoted a senior official of the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) as saying.
"They conducted eight flights on which there was dance in the aisle area harming passenger safety. The flights were reduced to a mockery, the centre of gravity of the aircraft could have been impacted," the official said. "Mobiles were used to capture the show in violation of our rules. The dance could have provoked passengers into unruly behavior. The captain came out and was dancing outside the cockpit."
SpiceJet, known as the second largest low-fare airlines, now has to reply to the notice within a fortnight, after which a decision will be taken on the whether or not to cancel its license.
DGCA has suspended two SpiceJet pilots, including a captain, pending investigation. The airliner, which has 57 planes and runs 350 daily flights, ran the 'special Holi' flights on 17 March.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown