‘How I Met Your Mother’ Season 9 Spoilers: Ted Has Alzheimer’s; Mother Still Alive?
By Keerthi Mohan | March 20, 2014 7:54 PM EST
Fans of “How I Met Your Mother” has for long wondered the reason behind Ted narrating to his children the story of how he met their mother. And now, like Ted’s children, fans of the show also would not have to wait for long to find out the reason as the show is airing its final episode on 31 March.
How I Met Your Mother
But that has not stopped people from speculating how the story might end, and one theory floating around suggests that Ted might be suffering from Alzheimer’s. This might be why he wants to narrate his memories before they fade away.
This has put to rest the mother-is-going-to-die theory, which gained momentum soon after the “Vesuvius” episode aired. The episode had Ted crying when Milioti’s character asks “what mother wouldn’t attend her daughter’s wedding?" and fans were quick to draw conclusions that the mother wouldn’t be alive when their daughter walks down the aisle.
But now, it looks like Ted is the one who would miss their daughter’s wedding, if not physically, then mentally. In the "Vesuvius" episode, although the mother asks Ted to stop living in the past, she lets him recount his good days with his friends, probably because she knows he won't have anything good to look forward to in future.
Supporting the theory, a Reddit user stated: "The entire show is about Ted looking back on his life, looking at all the good and the bad parts. Was he right to do this? Was he a good person when...?
"That's not normal for someone who think's they're going to lose their soul mate, that's what someone does when they think they don't have a future."
Also, it looks like Ted’s children do not know about his ailment as they would not be giving him annoying looks if they knew he had Alzheimer’s.
Their “hurry up, dad” look has also put a stop to speculations of the mother being dead, as no one would show annoyance when their dad is regaling stories about their dead mother.
However, these theories might still be wrong, according to Pamela Fryman, director of the series.
"People are so sure and they have such an opinion about what they think is going to happen, but nobody is 100 percent right," she was quoted as saying by TV Guide. "I think people will be happy with the way this plays out. It's a great ending."
The finale episode of “How I Met Your Mother” is titled “Last Forever” and it will air on 31 March.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports