‘How I Met Your Mother’ Season 9 Spoilers: Ted Has Alzheimer’s; Mother Still Alive?
By Keerthi Mohan | March 20, 2014 7:54 PM EST
Fans of “How I Met Your Mother” has for long wondered the reason behind Ted narrating to his children the story of how he met their mother. And now, like Ted’s children, fans of the show also would not have to wait for long to find out the reason as the show is airing its final episode on 31 March.
How I Met Your Mother
But that has not stopped people from speculating how the story might end, and one theory floating around suggests that Ted might be suffering from Alzheimer’s. This might be why he wants to narrate his memories before they fade away.
This has put to rest the mother-is-going-to-die theory, which gained momentum soon after the “Vesuvius” episode aired. The episode had Ted crying when Milioti’s character asks “what mother wouldn’t attend her daughter’s wedding?" and fans were quick to draw conclusions that the mother wouldn’t be alive when their daughter walks down the aisle.
But now, it looks like Ted is the one who would miss their daughter’s wedding, if not physically, then mentally. In the "Vesuvius" episode, although the mother asks Ted to stop living in the past, she lets him recount his good days with his friends, probably because she knows he won't have anything good to look forward to in future.
Supporting the theory, a Reddit user stated: "The entire show is about Ted looking back on his life, looking at all the good and the bad parts. Was he right to do this? Was he a good person when...?
"That's not normal for someone who think's they're going to lose their soul mate, that's what someone does when they think they don't have a future."
Also, it looks like Ted’s children do not know about his ailment as they would not be giving him annoying looks if they knew he had Alzheimer’s.
Their “hurry up, dad” look has also put a stop to speculations of the mother being dead, as no one would show annoyance when their dad is regaling stories about their dead mother.
However, these theories might still be wrong, according to Pamela Fryman, director of the series.
"People are so sure and they have such an opinion about what they think is going to happen, but nobody is 100 percent right," she was quoted as saying by TV Guide. "I think people will be happy with the way this plays out. It's a great ending."
The finale episode of “How I Met Your Mother” is titled “Last Forever” and it will air on 31 March.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Oct. 20-24 Spoilers: An ‘Unexpected Visitor’ Changes Everything For Sami Plus Updates On Salemites
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Oct. 20-24, 2014, Plus Additional Spoilers For Oct. 27, 2014: Nina Makes Public Rosalie’s Secret
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar