Tibetan Mastiff Puppy Sold for $2 Million in China
By Parismita Goswami | March 20, 2014 7:12 PM EST
A golden haired Tibetan mastiff has reportedly been sold for a $2 million, thereby making it world's most expensive dog ever sold.
golden haired Tibetan mastiff sold for $2 million in China (Representational image)
The puppy was sold in a luxury pet fair in the Eastern province of Zhejiang.
The buyer, a 56-year-old property developer has offered the whooping amount to the breeder, who reportedly told that the dog has lion's blood. The buyer from Qingdao hopes to breed dog himself, according to the report.
"They have lion's blood and are top-of-the-range mastiff studs," said breeder Zhang Gengyu to the Qianjiang Evening News. Another red-haired canine was also sold for a 6 million yuan in the pet fair.
Tibetan mastiff, the ancient breed of dog, are ferocious and their huge size makes them resemble more like a lion than a canine. The hound is 31 inches tall and weighed about 90 kilograms, according to Zhang.
Tibetan mastiffs with long coats have throughout been a status symbol among the wealthy classes of China. The size and the rareness of the breed have made the animal a huge prized possession among wealthiest Chinese people. "Pure Tibetan mastiffs are very rare, just like our nationally treasured pandas, so the prices are so high," the breeder added.
One red mastiff named 'Big Splash' was reportedly sold for US $1.5 million in 2011 and was the most expensive dog sold then.
Last year in a fair at Beijing, an animal was sold for 27 million yuan. But a person named Xu, an industry insider, reportedly told the newspaper that the huge price may be an inside agreement among the breeders in order to boost their dog's worth.
"A lot of the sky-high priced deals are just breeders hyping each other up, and no money actually changes hands," Xu added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Video of Slain Syrian Soldiers Raises Doubts; Syrian Gov't Demands Release of Captured Troops
- Family of Accidentally Killed Arizona Shooting Range Instructor Charles Vacca Feels Sorry For 9-Year-Old Uzi Girl
- Major Highlights On 1400 Minor’s Sex Assault
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Viral Video Pregnancy News: Young Boy Reacts To Mom's 'Exasperating' Pregnancy News, Asks Mom To Buy Him Ear Plugs
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares