Tibetan Mastiff Puppy Sold for $2 Million in China
By Parismita Goswami | March 20, 2014 7:12 PM EST
A golden haired Tibetan mastiff has reportedly been sold for a $2 million, thereby making it world's most expensive dog ever sold.
golden haired Tibetan mastiff sold for $2 million in China (Representational image)
The puppy was sold in a luxury pet fair in the Eastern province of Zhejiang.
The buyer, a 56-year-old property developer has offered the whooping amount to the breeder, who reportedly told that the dog has lion's blood. The buyer from Qingdao hopes to breed dog himself, according to the report.
"They have lion's blood and are top-of-the-range mastiff studs," said breeder Zhang Gengyu to the Qianjiang Evening News. Another red-haired canine was also sold for a 6 million yuan in the pet fair.
Tibetan mastiff, the ancient breed of dog, are ferocious and their huge size makes them resemble more like a lion than a canine. The hound is 31 inches tall and weighed about 90 kilograms, according to Zhang.
Tibetan mastiffs with long coats have throughout been a status symbol among the wealthy classes of China. The size and the rareness of the breed have made the animal a huge prized possession among wealthiest Chinese people. "Pure Tibetan mastiffs are very rare, just like our nationally treasured pandas, so the prices are so high," the breeder added.
One red mastiff named 'Big Splash' was reportedly sold for US $1.5 million in 2011 and was the most expensive dog sold then.
Last year in a fair at Beijing, an animal was sold for 27 million yuan. But a person named Xu, an industry insider, reportedly told the newspaper that the huge price may be an inside agreement among the breeders in order to boost their dog's worth.
"A lot of the sky-high priced deals are just breeders hyping each other up, and no money actually changes hands," Xu added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown