New Dinosaur Discovery: Scientists Call Dinosaur "Chicken from Hell"
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | March 20, 2014 5:33 PM EST
New interesting dinosaur discovery is making its way through headlines. Scientists discovered a new dinosaur with the scientific name "Anzu Wyliei," nicknamed "Chicken from Hell" because of its bird-like appearance, which had lived in western North America during the Cretaceous period 66 million years ago.
REUTERS/Carnegie Museum of Nat
A mounted replica skeleton of the new oviraptorosaurian dinosaur species Anzu wyliei on display in the Dinosaurs in Their Time exhibition at Carnegie Museum of Natural History in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in this handout image courtesy of theCarnegie Museum of Natural History. Scientists identified a dinosaur called Anzu wyliei on March 19, 2014, from fossils found in North Dakota and South Dakota.
According to a Science Codex report, the bird-like dinosaur was unveiled by scientists from Carnegie and Smithsonian museums and the University of Utah on March 19. The nicknamed Chicken from Hell Dinosaur weighed 500 pounds with murderous claws and prize-fighter arms. The dinosaur also had spindly legs, a tail that is thin and with feathers on all over its body.
Reports concluded that the new specie looked a lot more like a bird or an unsettling beast than the usual dinosaur. The newly discovered dinosaur was about11 foot long and looked freakish enough to have had captured a nickname.
Chicken from Hell belongs to the oviraptorosaurs group, and according to a report published on PLOS ONE, the dinosaur most likely fed itself with vegetation, small animals, and maybe even eggs.
"For almost a hundred years, the presence of oviraptosaurs in North America was only known from a few bits of skeleton, and the details of their appearance and biology remained a mystery," Dr. Hans-Dieter Sues from the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History in Washington explained on a report from sci-news.com.
According to a Washington Post report, only few dinosaurs are known to have lived in the end-Cretaceous period, which led scientists to arguments that a large asteroid struck the Earth and the dinosaurs had vanished. "Anzu Wyliei," however, is now here to add to the pile.
Carnegie Museum paleontologist Matthew Lamanna, the lead author of the new scientific study, and his colleagues had spent close to a decade doing the study. Anzu is considered to be the specie that reminds the birdiness of birds and vice versa.
"It [chicken from Hell] would have had a lot of birdy behaviors," Lamanna told Washington Post.
The unique appearance of the new dinosaur discovery separated it from other most common dinosaurs like the T. rex. When Lamanna was asked if the dinosaur "cluck," he said that there was no evidence to it.
Regarding to what Chicken from Hell could have tasted like, however, even though Lamanna said he couldn't answer the question with any degree of certainty, the dinosaur could have tasted a bit like an alligator or ostrich.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Alien Mystery: The Most Famous Unexplained Alien Abduction Cases (Watch Video)
- University of Waterloo U Study Recommends Best Sex Positions To Ease Back Pain During Lovemaking
- Aurora Borealis Paints A Beautiful Picture On The Northern Skies [Watch Video]
- West Seattle Man Accuses Stranger Obese Woman Of Rape While He Was Asleep
- Lady Gaga Wants David Bowie To Perform With Her In Space
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date