New Dinosaur Discovery: Scientists Call Dinosaur "Chicken from Hell"
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | March 20, 2014 5:33 PM EST
New interesting dinosaur discovery is making its way through headlines. Scientists discovered a new dinosaur with the scientific name "Anzu Wyliei," nicknamed "Chicken from Hell" because of its bird-like appearance, which had lived in western North America during the Cretaceous period 66 million years ago.
REUTERS/Carnegie Museum of Nat
A mounted replica skeleton of the new oviraptorosaurian dinosaur species Anzu wyliei on display in the Dinosaurs in Their Time exhibition at Carnegie Museum of Natural History in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in this handout image courtesy of theCarnegie Museum of Natural History. Scientists identified a dinosaur called Anzu wyliei on March 19, 2014, from fossils found in North Dakota and South Dakota.
According to a Science Codex report, the bird-like dinosaur was unveiled by scientists from Carnegie and Smithsonian museums and the University of Utah on March 19. The nicknamed Chicken from Hell Dinosaur weighed 500 pounds with murderous claws and prize-fighter arms. The dinosaur also had spindly legs, a tail that is thin and with feathers on all over its body.
Reports concluded that the new specie looked a lot more like a bird or an unsettling beast than the usual dinosaur. The newly discovered dinosaur was about11 foot long and looked freakish enough to have had captured a nickname.
Chicken from Hell belongs to the oviraptorosaurs group, and according to a report published on PLOS ONE, the dinosaur most likely fed itself with vegetation, small animals, and maybe even eggs.
"For almost a hundred years, the presence of oviraptosaurs in North America was only known from a few bits of skeleton, and the details of their appearance and biology remained a mystery," Dr. Hans-Dieter Sues from the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History in Washington explained on a report from sci-news.com.
According to a Washington Post report, only few dinosaurs are known to have lived in the end-Cretaceous period, which led scientists to arguments that a large asteroid struck the Earth and the dinosaurs had vanished. "Anzu Wyliei," however, is now here to add to the pile.
Carnegie Museum paleontologist Matthew Lamanna, the lead author of the new scientific study, and his colleagues had spent close to a decade doing the study. Anzu is considered to be the specie that reminds the birdiness of birds and vice versa.
"It [chicken from Hell] would have had a lot of birdy behaviors," Lamanna told Washington Post.
The unique appearance of the new dinosaur discovery separated it from other most common dinosaurs like the T. rex. When Lamanna was asked if the dinosaur "cluck," he said that there was no evidence to it.
Regarding to what Chicken from Hell could have tasted like, however, even though Lamanna said he couldn't answer the question with any degree of certainty, the dinosaur could have tasted a bit like an alligator or ostrich.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- NASA Scientists Advance Understanding of Climate Change With The Help Of IceCube
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- First Ever Man-Made Leaf That Could Provide Oxygen During Space Travel: A Breathtaking Leap [Watch Video]
- Hair Iron Could Spell the Future of Instant Hair Colour - US Engineers [Watch Video]
- Brown Fat Reduces Obesity, Diabetes Risk: Study
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools