Online Protest Over Rooney Mara’s Casting As Tiger Lily In Peter Pan Film
By Anne Lu | March 20, 2014 5:17 PM EST
Rooney Mara’s casting as Tiger Lily for the film “Pan” has not been met with pleasant reactions from some people. An online petition has been launched, asking Warner Bros to stop casting white actor to play people of colour.
“Pan” is the latest live-action film adaptation of the classic Peter Pan, and will also star Hugh Jackman and Garrett Hedlund. It will be a new take on the classic tale, and will be set during World War II.
According to Variety, the story will follow “an orphan named Peter who is kidnapped by pirates and brought to Neverland, where he discovers he’s destined to save the land from the pirate Blackbear.”
It continued, “The world being created is multi-racial/international – and a very different character than previously imagined.”
Apparently, Warner Bros considered Academy Award winner Lupita Nyong’o and “Blue is the Warmest Colour” star Adele Exarchopoulos for the role of the Native American princess before giving it to Mara.
However, some people don’t agree with Mara’s casting since it was announced earlier in March. As they said, the problem was the 28-year-old American actress is white, but the role that she has been tapped to play, Tiger Lily, is of Native American descent.
A petition has been launched online, asking Warner Bros to drop Mara.
“A statement by the studio was unapologetic, and said a black actress and a French actress were first considered for the role. This casting choice is particularly shameful for a children’s movie. Tellnig children their role models must be all white is unacceptable,” the petition reads.
They also didn’t buy WB’s statement that it is creating a “multi-racial/international” production because “Yet it stars Mara and two white guys – Hugh Jackman and Garrett Hedlund. Not so multi-racial after all, Warner Bros.”
It added for the readers: “Tell Warner Bros to stop casting white actors to play characters originally written as people of colour!”
The campaign requires 6000 signatures, which it has nearly accomplished as of the time of writing with 5691 people already signed.
“Pan” is slated for release on July 17, 2015 in the U.S.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date