Online Protest Over Rooney Mara’s Casting As Tiger Lily In Peter Pan Film
By Anne Lu | March 20, 2014 5:17 PM EST
Rooney Mara’s casting as Tiger Lily for the film “Pan” has not been met with pleasant reactions from some people. An online petition has been launched, asking Warner Bros to stop casting white actor to play people of colour.
“Pan” is the latest live-action film adaptation of the classic Peter Pan, and will also star Hugh Jackman and Garrett Hedlund. It will be a new take on the classic tale, and will be set during World War II.
According to Variety, the story will follow “an orphan named Peter who is kidnapped by pirates and brought to Neverland, where he discovers he’s destined to save the land from the pirate Blackbear.”
It continued, “The world being created is multi-racial/international – and a very different character than previously imagined.”
Apparently, Warner Bros considered Academy Award winner Lupita Nyong’o and “Blue is the Warmest Colour” star Adele Exarchopoulos for the role of the Native American princess before giving it to Mara.
However, some people don’t agree with Mara’s casting since it was announced earlier in March. As they said, the problem was the 28-year-old American actress is white, but the role that she has been tapped to play, Tiger Lily, is of Native American descent.
A petition has been launched online, asking Warner Bros to drop Mara.
“A statement by the studio was unapologetic, and said a black actress and a French actress were first considered for the role. This casting choice is particularly shameful for a children’s movie. Tellnig children their role models must be all white is unacceptable,” the petition reads.
They also didn’t buy WB’s statement that it is creating a “multi-racial/international” production because “Yet it stars Mara and two white guys – Hugh Jackman and Garrett Hedlund. Not so multi-racial after all, Warner Bros.”
It added for the readers: “Tell Warner Bros to stop casting white actors to play characters originally written as people of colour!”
The campaign requires 6000 signatures, which it has nearly accomplished as of the time of writing with 5691 people already signed.
“Pan” is slated for release on July 17, 2015 in the U.S.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Kanye West Abandons Kim Kardashian after 58 Days of Marriage – Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Things to Know About ‘Surprising, Explosive Ending’ of Andi Dorfman’s Season
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports