Online Protest Over Rooney Mara’s Casting As Tiger Lily In Peter Pan Film
By Anne Lu | March 20, 2014 5:17 PM EST
Rooney Mara’s casting as Tiger Lily for the film “Pan” has not been met with pleasant reactions from some people. An online petition has been launched, asking Warner Bros to stop casting white actor to play people of colour.
“Pan” is the latest live-action film adaptation of the classic Peter Pan, and will also star Hugh Jackman and Garrett Hedlund. It will be a new take on the classic tale, and will be set during World War II.
According to Variety, the story will follow “an orphan named Peter who is kidnapped by pirates and brought to Neverland, where he discovers he’s destined to save the land from the pirate Blackbear.”
It continued, “The world being created is multi-racial/international – and a very different character than previously imagined.”
Apparently, Warner Bros considered Academy Award winner Lupita Nyong’o and “Blue is the Warmest Colour” star Adele Exarchopoulos for the role of the Native American princess before giving it to Mara.
However, some people don’t agree with Mara’s casting since it was announced earlier in March. As they said, the problem was the 28-year-old American actress is white, but the role that she has been tapped to play, Tiger Lily, is of Native American descent.
A petition has been launched online, asking Warner Bros to drop Mara.
“A statement by the studio was unapologetic, and said a black actress and a French actress were first considered for the role. This casting choice is particularly shameful for a children’s movie. Tellnig children their role models must be all white is unacceptable,” the petition reads.
They also didn’t buy WB’s statement that it is creating a “multi-racial/international” production because “Yet it stars Mara and two white guys – Hugh Jackman and Garrett Hedlund. Not so multi-racial after all, Warner Bros.”
It added for the readers: “Tell Warner Bros to stop casting white actors to play characters originally written as people of colour!”
The campaign requires 6000 signatures, which it has nearly accomplished as of the time of writing with 5691 people already signed.
“Pan” is slated for release on July 17, 2015 in the U.S.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 2’ Nebula Is Alive And James Gunn Wants Fans To See More Of Her
- Selena Gomez And Justin Bieber: Songstress Fears Pregnancy After Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms—Report
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4 Episode 8 Spoilers: Big Twist Features Dandy In Blood Bath
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Katey Sagal On Gemma Teller’s Fate in ‘Red Rose’ [VIDEO]
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Episode 11 On Hold, Return Date, Title And Synopsis Of New Episode
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast