Online Protest Over Rooney Mara’s Casting As Tiger Lily In Peter Pan Film
By Anne Lu | March 20, 2014 5:17 PM EST
Rooney Mara’s casting as Tiger Lily for the film “Pan” has not been met with pleasant reactions from some people. An online petition has been launched, asking Warner Bros to stop casting white actor to play people of colour.
“Pan” is the latest live-action film adaptation of the classic Peter Pan, and will also star Hugh Jackman and Garrett Hedlund. It will be a new take on the classic tale, and will be set during World War II.
According to Variety, the story will follow “an orphan named Peter who is kidnapped by pirates and brought to Neverland, where he discovers he’s destined to save the land from the pirate Blackbear.”
It continued, “The world being created is multi-racial/international – and a very different character than previously imagined.”
Apparently, Warner Bros considered Academy Award winner Lupita Nyong’o and “Blue is the Warmest Colour” star Adele Exarchopoulos for the role of the Native American princess before giving it to Mara.
However, some people don’t agree with Mara’s casting since it was announced earlier in March. As they said, the problem was the 28-year-old American actress is white, but the role that she has been tapped to play, Tiger Lily, is of Native American descent.
A petition has been launched online, asking Warner Bros to drop Mara.
“A statement by the studio was unapologetic, and said a black actress and a French actress were first considered for the role. This casting choice is particularly shameful for a children’s movie. Tellnig children their role models must be all white is unacceptable,” the petition reads.
They also didn’t buy WB’s statement that it is creating a “multi-racial/international” production because “Yet it stars Mara and two white guys – Hugh Jackman and Garrett Hedlund. Not so multi-racial after all, Warner Bros.”
It added for the readers: “Tell Warner Bros to stop casting white actors to play characters originally written as people of colour!”
The campaign requires 6000 signatures, which it has nearly accomplished as of the time of writing with 5691 people already signed.
“Pan” is slated for release on July 17, 2015 in the U.S.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’