Selfie Gone Bad: Student Breaks Century Old Statue While Taking Picture
By Jenille Cristy Maido | March 20, 2014 4:59 PM EST
We are in an unstoppable "selfie" generation. Following Ellen Degeneres' epic selfie, another selfie is making headlines, not because the picture is funny nor cute, but because the selfie attempt happen to break a priceless piece inside an Italian museum.
An image posted by Oscars show host Ellen DeGeneres (bottom row, 4th L) on her Twitter account. Picture taken March 2, 2014.
A student broke a statue in an academy museum in Milan, Italy while taking a selfie with the century old Hellenistic sculpture. The student who was identified through the museum's security cameras but has yet to be named climbed on a 19th century statue at Academy of Fine Arts of Brera, one of Italy's most renowned academic institutions, to take a picture of himself. The selfie attempt caused the leg of sculpture, which depicts the "Barberini Faun" or the Drunken Satyr, to fall off. The student has not reported the incident to the management.
— Romano Pugile (@erpugileromano) March 18, 2014
The broken statue was discovered by a staff of the academy on Tuesday morning, March 18. Museum officials also found out that the incident was recorded on the security cameras in the area, according to the online news portal of Time.
The "Drunken Satyr" statue is a depiction of a Hellenistic era sculpture of ancient Greek. It is a human sculpture with animal features like missing fingers and tail. The statue strikes a provocative pose and was recovered with his right leg missing as well as some parts of his left and right hand. Famous restorers restored the sculpture.
While the original "Barberini Faun" sculpture is in Germany, the copy of the statue is placed on the academy's hallway which leads to a room with more art works and sculptures of the Helenistic era.
Selfies has become one of the popular traditions in the digital world today where a person holds a camera and takes a picture of himself or himself with a group. The selfie fever took great heights especially with the presence of social networking sites like Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. The most recent proof of how popular selfie is, is the Oscars selfie by Ellen DeGeneres which garnered the most retweet in Twitter and is widely shared in different social networking sites.
Meanwhile, the question is whether the student captured a picture of himself before the statue's leg was ripped off from its body or the incident was captured on still. It could have been a good entry for a selfie gone badly.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance
- Nude Pregnant Kate Middleton Ala Demi Moore, The Latest Grafitti From Pegasus Street
- What Killed Vincent Van Gogh If He Did Not Commit Suicide 125 Years Ago
- Ugly Truth Behind Kim Kardashian's Champagne Popping Magazine Cover Shots
- Top 3 Nail Art Designs For Halloween 2014
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones