Daryl Gibson Praised Australia’s Super Rugby Team
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 20, 2014 4:56 PM EST
Former New Zealand rugby player Daryl Gibson, who now heads NSW Waratahs, stated it would not be wise to underestimate Australian Super Rugby teams in 2014.
In 2011, The Queensland Reds were the only Australian team to have won a Super title. As the Melbourne Rebels joined the competition three years ago, there were lot of speculation on the strength of Australian rugby.
However, per the IRB world ranking statistics, Australia stands at No. 3 position with 86.88 points and New Zealand at No.1 spot with 93.81.
Gibson, who is enjoying his second season with Waratahs, said, "Across the board, Australian teams have improved quite a bit."
"We all want to make sure that our conference is respected and I think so far the performances of all the Australian teams against foreign opposition has been very good."
"Putting my New Zealand cap on here, we always knew Australian sides were very well prepared for this time of the year."
"(But) since my time in Australia, I think the New Zealand teams probably underestimate the Australian conference, and I think that's a general sort of feeling - that the Australian conference is the weaker one."
"In my view, that's incorrect and something as a conference and all teams would be keen to rectify and make sure that we're a respected force."
Dave Dennis, captain of NSW Waratahs, was also pleased about the consistent performance of Australian Super Rugby franchise teams.
He said on Thursday, "You look at the way the (Western) Force are going. They've had a couple of good wins now."
"The (Melbourne) Rebels started well, the (Queensland) Reds are always there and the (ACT) Brumbies are getting back to that winning way after a slow start."
"So it's always going to be tough in this conference and I think definitely this year every team's performance is a lot more consistent in terms of the quality of it."
"It's a good sign for Australian rugby."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June