New Bermuda Triangle Near Asia? Wild Theories on the Missing Malaysian Plane MH370
By Sachin Trivedi | March 20, 2014 4:23 PM EST
Wild and unsubstantiated theories are making the rounds on social media. One of the most popular theories which has caught peoples' attention is that of a new Bermuda Triangle near Asia, which tries to explain the mystery behind the missing Malaysian plane MH370.
A woman holds a candle during a special prayer for passengers onboard the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 at Chinese Assembly Hall in Kuala Lumpur March 19, 2014. REUTERS/Samsul Said
As more days go by without any convincing explanation as to where and how the Malaysian plane MH370 went missing, it was expected that people would come up with their own explanations for the event.
The theories ranged from alien abduction to interference from advance technology of the lost city of Atlantis. But the theory that has gained a lot of popularity is the possibility of new Bermuda Triangle in Asia.
The original Bermuda Triangle roughly covers the area between Miami, Bermuda and Puerto Rico where several ships and airplanes reportedly disappeared. The idea was very popular in the 1970s but many scientists do not subscribe to this notion of unexplained disappearances in this area.
Some say that the whole Bermuda Triangle theory has been debunked as many ships travel in that same area today without disappearing. But believers have held on to the possibility that the area has some unexplained mystery attached to it.
With the news of the Malaysian plane MH370 having "disappeared" without a trace many believe that the effects are similar to what happens in a Bermuda Triangle, even though the incident took place half way around the world in Asia.
But some people are persistent with their belief and explain the phenomenon as the New Bermuda Triangle. Some say that the area around which the Malaysian plane MH370 went missing is exactly opposite to the Bermuda Triangle, this claim may also not stand up to scientific scrutiny.
One of the more rational theories being investigated by the authorities is that of a terrorist hijack of the plane. The role of the pilots of the plane is also being investigated. No convincing explanation has come forward so far leaving a gap to be filled by people, and people are filling that gap with theories of supernatural forces at play.
Meanwhile search and rescue operations continue for the missing Malaysian plane MH370. More than 26 countries are involved in the search. Radar information and information received from satellites are currently being analysed.
More Articles to Read
Terror Group Claims Responsibility for the Missing Malaysian Flight [Read]
Rolling Stones Singer Mike Jagger's Girlfriend L'Wren Scott Dead - Was it a Suicide? [Read]
'Two Fat Ladies' Star Chef Clarissa Dickson Wright Dies at 66 [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On