Manchester United Moved to Quarter Finals in Championship League
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 20, 2014 3:37 PM EST
Manchester United reserved their berth in the quarter-inals of the Championship League, defeating Olympiakos by 3-0.
The star of the match was Robin Van Persie with a hat-trick, pushing Manchester to a comfortable win.
At the 23rd minute of first half, Van Persie looked to bring down a diagonal ball inside the box, but José Holebas barged the striker down, leading to penalty.
The Dutch striker took no mess and drilled the ball low into the right-hand corner of the goalkeeper Roberto Jiménez Gago, leading the team by 1-0.
The second goal came just before the half time when Ryan Giggs placed a wonderful pass forward for Wayne Rooney who with some dodges passed it to Persie to do the needful.
The third goal was scored at the second half in 52 minutes when Rooney passed the ball to Persie who swings it around the wall, leaving Roberto agape.
As the game neared to its end, Van Persie got injured and was stretchered outside the field. Speaking of his injury, United boss David Moyes said, "It doesn't look that bad, he's had a knock in and around the knee area, on the back of his knee. He was great, not many people score a hat-trick in the Champions League."
Moyes was in all praise for the team which is quite evident after such magnificence in the field. He said about Ryan Giggs, "It's incredible the amount of games he's played in the Champions League. He was fantastic, the passes he made for the two goals, his general football, he's a freak."
"Ryan is not going to go on forever so we have to find the new Ryan Giggs and use other players but we needed his experience tonight."
Talking about pressure in the upcoming matches, Moyes further added, "I'm not feeling any pressure from inside the club, it's coming from you people [the media], we know the job we have to do, it's probably bigger than what I thought when I first came to the club."
"There are stories of this player falling out, or that one falling out, but it's rubbish. People are looking for reasons why we are not doing well but it is only because we have not been playing well."
About his aim, Moyes stated, "I see myself for a long time. I'm not going to be able to change things immediately but the players have a big heart".
"People will probably think it's a turning point in people's careers but I didn't see it like that because the club don't see it like that. I see myself here for a long time."
"I think we know we have a lot of work to do but it's a great result and we want to stay in the competition. The other teams are good now and we look forward to the draw."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Rumours Spice Up as Balotelli is Spotted in New York, where Gunners will Hold Pre-season Camp [PHOTOS]
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports