Manchester United Moved to Quarter Finals in Championship League
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 20, 2014 3:37 PM EST
Manchester United reserved their berth in the quarter-inals of the Championship League, defeating Olympiakos by 3-0.
The star of the match was Robin Van Persie with a hat-trick, pushing Manchester to a comfortable win.
At the 23rd minute of first half, Van Persie looked to bring down a diagonal ball inside the box, but José Holebas barged the striker down, leading to penalty.
The Dutch striker took no mess and drilled the ball low into the right-hand corner of the goalkeeper Roberto Jiménez Gago, leading the team by 1-0.
The second goal came just before the half time when Ryan Giggs placed a wonderful pass forward for Wayne Rooney who with some dodges passed it to Persie to do the needful.
The third goal was scored at the second half in 52 minutes when Rooney passed the ball to Persie who swings it around the wall, leaving Roberto agape.
As the game neared to its end, Van Persie got injured and was stretchered outside the field. Speaking of his injury, United boss David Moyes said, "It doesn't look that bad, he's had a knock in and around the knee area, on the back of his knee. He was great, not many people score a hat-trick in the Champions League."
Moyes was in all praise for the team which is quite evident after such magnificence in the field. He said about Ryan Giggs, "It's incredible the amount of games he's played in the Champions League. He was fantastic, the passes he made for the two goals, his general football, he's a freak."
"Ryan is not going to go on forever so we have to find the new Ryan Giggs and use other players but we needed his experience tonight."
Talking about pressure in the upcoming matches, Moyes further added, "I'm not feeling any pressure from inside the club, it's coming from you people [the media], we know the job we have to do, it's probably bigger than what I thought when I first came to the club."
"There are stories of this player falling out, or that one falling out, but it's rubbish. People are looking for reasons why we are not doing well but it is only because we have not been playing well."
About his aim, Moyes stated, "I see myself for a long time. I'm not going to be able to change things immediately but the players have a big heart".
"People will probably think it's a turning point in people's careers but I didn't see it like that because the club don't see it like that. I see myself here for a long time."
"I think we know we have a lot of work to do but it's a great result and we want to stay in the competition. The other teams are good now and we look forward to the draw."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install