Manchester United Moved to Quarter Finals in Championship League
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 20, 2014 3:37 PM EST
Manchester United reserved their berth in the quarter-inals of the Championship League, defeating Olympiakos by 3-0.
The star of the match was Robin Van Persie with a hat-trick, pushing Manchester to a comfortable win.
At the 23rd minute of first half, Van Persie looked to bring down a diagonal ball inside the box, but José Holebas barged the striker down, leading to penalty.
The Dutch striker took no mess and drilled the ball low into the right-hand corner of the goalkeeper Roberto Jiménez Gago, leading the team by 1-0.
The second goal came just before the half time when Ryan Giggs placed a wonderful pass forward for Wayne Rooney who with some dodges passed it to Persie to do the needful.
The third goal was scored at the second half in 52 minutes when Rooney passed the ball to Persie who swings it around the wall, leaving Roberto agape.
As the game neared to its end, Van Persie got injured and was stretchered outside the field. Speaking of his injury, United boss David Moyes said, "It doesn't look that bad, he's had a knock in and around the knee area, on the back of his knee. He was great, not many people score a hat-trick in the Champions League."
Moyes was in all praise for the team which is quite evident after such magnificence in the field. He said about Ryan Giggs, "It's incredible the amount of games he's played in the Champions League. He was fantastic, the passes he made for the two goals, his general football, he's a freak."
"Ryan is not going to go on forever so we have to find the new Ryan Giggs and use other players but we needed his experience tonight."
Talking about pressure in the upcoming matches, Moyes further added, "I'm not feeling any pressure from inside the club, it's coming from you people [the media], we know the job we have to do, it's probably bigger than what I thought when I first came to the club."
"There are stories of this player falling out, or that one falling out, but it's rubbish. People are looking for reasons why we are not doing well but it is only because we have not been playing well."
About his aim, Moyes stated, "I see myself for a long time. I'm not going to be able to change things immediately but the players have a big heart".
"People will probably think it's a turning point in people's careers but I didn't see it like that because the club don't see it like that. I see myself here for a long time."
"I think we know we have a lot of work to do but it's a great result and we want to stay in the competition. The other teams are good now and we look forward to the draw."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers