Star of the Show: LA Dodgers Pitcher Clayton Kershaw
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 20, 2014 3:22 PM EST
Sports lovers always connect Sydney Cricket Ground with cricket matches. This time, the crowds will see touchdown as LA Dodgers and Arizona Diamondbacks are getting ready to play their first game in Aussie soil.
Australia paid a warm welcome as both the teams reached the country. However, Clayton Kershaw, who is the star of the match to look out for, earlier showed discontent with the outfield of SCG. He also turned 26 on Wednesday and received a warm celebration with a birthday cake at the ground.
Meanwhile, the local sporting luminaries Adam Goodes, Sonny Boy Williams and Alessandro Del Piero also joined the visitors for a promotional photo shoot.
Arizona Diamondbacks is always the favourite team to the Aussies. But the star of the upcoming match will surely be Clayton Kershaw.
His stature as a player in baseball can be easily measured with the amount of pay out he receives when signing a contract.
In January, Kershaw signed a seven-year contract worth $215 million with the Dodgers. This was the largest ever deal in baseball, making him one of the most expensive player.
LA Dodgers Manager Don Mattingly also confirmed in this instance that it is impossible to justify baseball salaries to the "everyday working man." But if there is anyone to get such exorbitant money, "I'm glad that it is (Kershaw)."
Mark Trumbo, who is a part of Arizona Diamondbacks, was given a deal of $4.8 million for one year and will face charismatic Kershaw on Saturday.
When asked whether he feels intimidated by Kershaw's reputation, he said, "Intimidated is a tough word."
"You respect his talent. But you want to avoid being intimidated."
"He has a lot of weapons at his disposal. He's a big guy. He's just a bulldog, a bulldog competitor who's going to give it everything he's got. He's very dependable. That's evidence by the numbers he puts up every year."
Asked if Kershaw's hefty salary reflects his ability, Trumbo added, "You could view it that ways."
"But there are a lot of guys making a lot of money in this league though. Sure, the guys making the most are generally the best. But we go more off the numbers and they're up there every year."
The Texan pitcher Kershaw is also involved in charity work as he established a foundation named Kershaw's Challenge with wife Ellen. The charity is for Africa as they are raising fund to build an orphanage in Zambia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop