Malaysia Airlines MH370: Objects Found in Indian Ocean, PM Abbott Confirms
By Athena Yenko | March 20, 2014 3:18 PM EST
"The Australian maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) has received information on satellite imagery of objects possibly related to the search," Mr Abbott told Parliament.
"Following specialist analysis of this satellite imagery, two possible objects related to the search have been identified."
Mr Abbott also said that he already made contact with Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak, but that he was extra careful not to raise expectations high as the objects had yet to be identified.
Australia's RAAF Orion was immediately task to divert its search to where the objects where found. The aircraft were expected to reach the area at about 2:15 AEDT. Mr Abbott said three more aircraft were sent to the area and more information will be delegated soon.
"They are tasked for more intensive follow-up search," he added.
Mr Abbott warned that the search task was extremely difficult and the objects seen may turn out to be not related to the search."
The search area for the missing Malaysia Airlines MH370 became larger than the total land mass of Australia. Malaysia's acting Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein announced that the entire search area is now 2.24 million square nautical miles. That is 7.7 million square kilometres and Australia's land mass is approximately 7.6 million square kilometres.
On Monday, Australia was tasked to lead the search across the southern vector towards Indian Ocean from an area of 3,000 kilometres south-west of Perth, covering 600,000 square kilometres of ocean. This area was calculated through plotting satellite data obtained from last known signals from MH370.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Kim Dotcom Banks on 5% Youth Vote in New Zealand September Election
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World