ALERT: Hendra Virus Emerges in Queensland, Sickened Horse Put Down, Signs to Watch Out For
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 20, 2014 2:49 PM EST
Horse owners in Australia are being advised as the first case of the bat-borne Hendra virus had emerged in Bundaberg, Queensland. The afflicted horse has been put down.
A rider and his horse walk along the surface of the frozen Yenisei River during the 44th Ice Derby amateur horse race near the settlement of Novosyolovo, some 250 km (155 miles) south of the Siberian city of Krasnoyarsk, March 15, 2014. The Ice Derby has been held in Novosyolovo annually at the end of each winter since 1969, drawing participants from the entire region. REUTERS/Ilya Naymushin
Reports said the animal located on a property about 25 kilometres outside Bundaberg fell ill during the weekend. It was immediately put down on Monday. Test results obtained on Wednesday night confirmed the horse got afflicted with the bat-borne virus.
However, at least four people were believed to have been exposed to the infected horse.
Dr Rick Symons, Queensland's chief veterinary officer, could not confirm if those people had taken all precautionary measures in attending to the sick horse.
Dr Symons likewise said another horse still lives on the property.
"There is one other horse on the property. Tracing and risk assessments are being undertaken on any animals that may have had contact with the infected horse to work out if further testing needs to be done," he said.
"The property has been quarantined which means restrictions apply to moving horses and horse materials on and off the property. The quarantine will be in place for at least one month."
The bat-borne Hendra virus can transmit from flying foxes to horses, horses to horses and, from horses to people, although the latter rarely happens.
But in case it does, health authorities advised people to watch out for the following symptoms if they believed they contracted the virus: fever, cough, sore throat, headache and tiredness.
Horses sickened with the Hendra virus meantime may show fever, increased heart rate, restlessness, breathing difficulty, uncoordinated gait and muscle twitching, among others.
"Vaccination is the single most effective way of reducing the risk of Hendra virus infection in horses. It is recommended that horse owners speak to their veterinarian about vaccinating their horses," Dr Symons said.
"If a horse becomes sick, owners should contact their veterinarian immediately. People in contact with horses need to remember to continue to practice good biosecurity and personal hygiene measures even if a horse is vaccinated against Hendra virus."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers May Have Died From Propofol Like Michael Jackson
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Middleton's Morning Sickness Could Cause Risk Of Miscarriage[Watch Video]
- Prince Harry Turns 30 And Inherits $16 Million: Cancels Birthday Bash Due To Morning Sickness Of His Sister-in-Law Kate Middleton
- Ebola Update: Australian Aid Worker Appeals For More Field Hospitals, U.S. Steps Up Efforts To Fight Virus
- Whoopi Goldberg Lost 35 Pounds on Rocco DiSpirito’s 'Pound a Day' Diet: The Diet Gives Faster Results Than Liposuction
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone