Australia Beats New Zealand in T20 World Cup Warm-up Match
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 20, 2014 1:57 PM EST
In the latest warm-up match against Australia and New Zealand at Bangladesh, the Aussies beat the Kiwis by three runs.
The opening duo David Warner and Aaron Finch made 113 out of just 8 overs. Warner scored 65 out of 26 deliveries and Finch made 47 in 22 deliveries before both retired.
The Australians put 200-7 to chase and New Zealand was restricted to 197-9. Kiwis' opener, Martin Guptill, contributed with a swashbuckling innings of 62 runs from just 34 balls. Captain Brendon McCullum also contributed with 37 runs in 18 deliveries.
With 17 runs to win in the last two overs, the match was still in the hand of New Zealand. But a quick collapse of four wickets shattered the hope of winning for Kiwis.
Right-arm seamer Nathan Coulter-Nile made the late damage taking two wickets in the last over, dismissing Jimmy Neesham and Anton Devcich.
Mitchell Starc and Nathan Coulter-Nile were the star bowlers in the match, taking two wickets each on a good batting surface.
Australia's coach Darren Lehman said, "It was a good quality game ... and high scoring, which is pleasing for both sides."
"I think both sides will be working on their bowling - we certainly will be working on our bowling in the middle stage of the innings."
He further added, "But at the end of the day it was a great hit-out for both of the teams." Lehmann predicted plenty of high scores from most teams when the tournament proper begins, and said Australia would be no exception. "I think you've seen the way we want to play."
"From our point of view, we're going to be quite aggressive in everything we do."
"It's been working of late, but again it's a different story for the World Cup. It's going to be a great contest."
Prior to start of T20, Australia faced a strong blow in bowling line-up when injured Mitchell Johnson could not join the team, thus replacing my Doug Bollinger. However, Lehman was confident the team will just be fine to challenge the upcoming match against Pakistan on Sunday.
He said, "We've got the squad that can go the distance. At the end of the day, you've got to win a lot of games early."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch