Australia Beats New Zealand in T20 World Cup Warm-up Match
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 20, 2014 1:57 PM EST
In the latest warm-up match against Australia and New Zealand at Bangladesh, the Aussies beat the Kiwis by three runs.
The opening duo David Warner and Aaron Finch made 113 out of just 8 overs. Warner scored 65 out of 26 deliveries and Finch made 47 in 22 deliveries before both retired.
The Australians put 200-7 to chase and New Zealand was restricted to 197-9. Kiwis' opener, Martin Guptill, contributed with a swashbuckling innings of 62 runs from just 34 balls. Captain Brendon McCullum also contributed with 37 runs in 18 deliveries.
With 17 runs to win in the last two overs, the match was still in the hand of New Zealand. But a quick collapse of four wickets shattered the hope of winning for Kiwis.
Right-arm seamer Nathan Coulter-Nile made the late damage taking two wickets in the last over, dismissing Jimmy Neesham and Anton Devcich.
Mitchell Starc and Nathan Coulter-Nile were the star bowlers in the match, taking two wickets each on a good batting surface.
Australia's coach Darren Lehman said, "It was a good quality game ... and high scoring, which is pleasing for both sides."
"I think both sides will be working on their bowling - we certainly will be working on our bowling in the middle stage of the innings."
He further added, "But at the end of the day it was a great hit-out for both of the teams." Lehmann predicted plenty of high scores from most teams when the tournament proper begins, and said Australia would be no exception. "I think you've seen the way we want to play."
"From our point of view, we're going to be quite aggressive in everything we do."
"It's been working of late, but again it's a different story for the World Cup. It's going to be a great contest."
Prior to start of T20, Australia faced a strong blow in bowling line-up when injured Mitchell Johnson could not join the team, thus replacing my Doug Bollinger. However, Lehman was confident the team will just be fine to challenge the upcoming match against Pakistan on Sunday.
He said, "We've got the squad that can go the distance. At the end of the day, you've got to win a lot of games early."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510