Australia Beats New Zealand in T20 World Cup Warm-up Match
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 20, 2014 1:57 PM EST
In the latest warm-up match against Australia and New Zealand at Bangladesh, the Aussies beat the Kiwis by three runs.
The opening duo David Warner and Aaron Finch made 113 out of just 8 overs. Warner scored 65 out of 26 deliveries and Finch made 47 in 22 deliveries before both retired.
The Australians put 200-7 to chase and New Zealand was restricted to 197-9. Kiwis' opener, Martin Guptill, contributed with a swashbuckling innings of 62 runs from just 34 balls. Captain Brendon McCullum also contributed with 37 runs in 18 deliveries.
With 17 runs to win in the last two overs, the match was still in the hand of New Zealand. But a quick collapse of four wickets shattered the hope of winning for Kiwis.
Right-arm seamer Nathan Coulter-Nile made the late damage taking two wickets in the last over, dismissing Jimmy Neesham and Anton Devcich.
Mitchell Starc and Nathan Coulter-Nile were the star bowlers in the match, taking two wickets each on a good batting surface.
Australia's coach Darren Lehman said, "It was a good quality game ... and high scoring, which is pleasing for both sides."
"I think both sides will be working on their bowling - we certainly will be working on our bowling in the middle stage of the innings."
He further added, "But at the end of the day it was a great hit-out for both of the teams." Lehmann predicted plenty of high scores from most teams when the tournament proper begins, and said Australia would be no exception. "I think you've seen the way we want to play."
"From our point of view, we're going to be quite aggressive in everything we do."
"It's been working of late, but again it's a different story for the World Cup. It's going to be a great contest."
Prior to start of T20, Australia faced a strong blow in bowling line-up when injured Mitchell Johnson could not join the team, thus replacing my Doug Bollinger. However, Lehman was confident the team will just be fine to challenge the upcoming match against Pakistan on Sunday.
He said, "We've got the squad that can go the distance. At the end of the day, you've got to win a lot of games early."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install