Julia Gillard’s Famous Anti-Tony Abbott Misogyny Speech Becomes A Musical [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | March 20, 2014 1:12 PM EST
Ms Gillard was targeting Mr Abbott, who was then the leader of the opposition, for holding “sexist views” that were not appropriate for high office.
And while her speech was worth listening to in its entirety, there were key phrases that have stayed in people’s mind, such as the ardently uttered “Not now, not ever.”
Composer Rob Davidson thought that it deserves to be immortalised through song. With the help of the Australian Voices choir and using repetition and harmony, he was able to compose music based around Ms Gillard’s speech.
The result is a beguiling musical titled “Not Now, Not Ever!”
“I will not be lectured about sexism and misogyny by this man,” Ms Gillard said in her speech, pointing to the smirking Abbott. That is also the line that starts the song.
“When I heard Julia Gillard’s parliamentary speech addressing misogyny, it struck me that behind the politics there was a lot of personal feeling being communicated,” Mr Davidson said.
“I wanted to put a frame around this slice of time, to heighten my perception of what was being said behind the words, in the intonation of the voice, and in the dynamics of what was being said in interjections and reactions.
“The resulting choral piece, in which the singers echo and support the Prime Minister’s [Gillard] speech melodies, is initially quite humorous, as we are confronted with the melody that perhaps was not evident to us before. As the music goes on, it passes into something more serious, and (it is hoped) we hear the Prime Minister as a woman experiencing very real emotions.”
As expected, the video, uploaded on YouTube on Sunday, has invited more comments about politics online than about the musical itself.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features