Whopping 55lb Colombian 8-mo Baby Boy to Undergo Strict Diet, No Longer Cute!
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 20, 2014 12:33 PM EST
A charity in Colombia fighting obesity has stepped in to impose radical changes in the diet of an 8-month-old baby boy who no longer looks cute at his whopping 55-pound weight.
Volunteers at Chubby Hearts Foundation said they would evaluate young Santiago Mendoza's condition and try to bring down his weight to a manageable level before they conduct a series of operations. The organisation had agreed to fund the treatments.
Eight-month-old Santiago Mendoza sits at a clinic for the obese in Bogota March 19 ,2014. Mendoza, who weighs 20 kg, will be put on a diet, therapist Salvador Palacios said. REUTERS/John Vizcaino
Eunice Fandino, Santiago's mother, admitted the baby bloated to a Godzilla size because of her own doing.
The baby was born healthy and thriving, according to the mother, accepting in part some of the responsibility of Santiago's weight problems.
However, she claimed he was born with anxiety. "So if he cried I just fed him," she said.
Santiago has now been placed on a very strict diet to bring down his weight to 17 pounds. Once that weight is reached, Medellin-based Chubby Hearts Foundation will proceed with more advanced medical treatment.
However, doctors his early had said the child will likely have medical issues at some point in the future, such as joint problems, high blood pressure or diabetes.
"What he will need is a long-term treatment, education, healthy food, and when he is older physical activity," surgeon Cesar Ernesto Guevar told Colombian newspaper El Espectador.
Eunice promised to abide by doctors' orders, feed her son healthy foods and help him exercise when he comes home.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: Ebola Spreads Through Sneeze and Cough Droplets And Toilet Seats
- New Zealand Develops New Drug To Fight 'Superbugs'
- Australia Does Not Have Ebola Drug ZMapp And That Is Alright, Experts Say
- New Zealand PM Calls Homeopathic Remedy For Ebola 'Barking Mad'
- Australia In Talks With Gates Foundation For Possible Ebola Vaccine Extracted From Survivors
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists