Whopping 55lb Colombian 8-mo Baby Boy to Undergo Strict Diet, No Longer Cute!
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 20, 2014 12:33 PM EST
A charity in Colombia fighting obesity has stepped in to impose radical changes in the diet of an 8-month-old baby boy who no longer looks cute at his whopping 55-pound weight.
Volunteers at Chubby Hearts Foundation said they would evaluate young Santiago Mendoza's condition and try to bring down his weight to a manageable level before they conduct a series of operations. The organisation had agreed to fund the treatments.
Eight-month-old Santiago Mendoza sits at a clinic for the obese in Bogota March 19 ,2014. Mendoza, who weighs 20 kg, will be put on a diet, therapist Salvador Palacios said. REUTERS/John Vizcaino
Eunice Fandino, Santiago's mother, admitted the baby bloated to a Godzilla size because of her own doing.
The baby was born healthy and thriving, according to the mother, accepting in part some of the responsibility of Santiago's weight problems.
However, she claimed he was born with anxiety. "So if he cried I just fed him," she said.
Santiago has now been placed on a very strict diet to bring down his weight to 17 pounds. Once that weight is reached, Medellin-based Chubby Hearts Foundation will proceed with more advanced medical treatment.
However, doctors his early had said the child will likely have medical issues at some point in the future, such as joint problems, high blood pressure or diabetes.
"What he will need is a long-term treatment, education, healthy food, and when he is older physical activity," surgeon Cesar Ernesto Guevar told Colombian newspaper El Espectador.
Eunice promised to abide by doctors' orders, feed her son healthy foods and help him exercise when he comes home.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Response Team Killed In Cold Blood By Angry Guinea Locales
- 'Desperate Housewives' Actress Polly Bergen Died; Suffered Complications From Emphysema
- Former 'Home And Away' Star Tessa James Battling Cancer
- Condoms Too Small For Uganda Men, Fight Against AIDS Hampered
- One-Year-Old Baby In Melbourne Hospital With Ebola-Like Symptoms
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?