Whopping 55lb Colombian 8-mo Baby Boy to Undergo Strict Diet, No Longer Cute!
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 20, 2014 12:33 PM EST
A charity in Colombia fighting obesity has stepped in to impose radical changes in the diet of an 8-month-old baby boy who no longer looks cute at his whopping 55-pound weight.
Volunteers at Chubby Hearts Foundation said they would evaluate young Santiago Mendoza's condition and try to bring down his weight to a manageable level before they conduct a series of operations. The organisation had agreed to fund the treatments.
Eight-month-old Santiago Mendoza sits at a clinic for the obese in Bogota March 19 ,2014. Mendoza, who weighs 20 kg, will be put on a diet, therapist Salvador Palacios said. REUTERS/John Vizcaino
Eunice Fandino, Santiago's mother, admitted the baby bloated to a Godzilla size because of her own doing.
The baby was born healthy and thriving, according to the mother, accepting in part some of the responsibility of Santiago's weight problems.
However, she claimed he was born with anxiety. "So if he cried I just fed him," she said.
Santiago has now been placed on a very strict diet to bring down his weight to 17 pounds. Once that weight is reached, Medellin-based Chubby Hearts Foundation will proceed with more advanced medical treatment.
However, doctors his early had said the child will likely have medical issues at some point in the future, such as joint problems, high blood pressure or diabetes.
"What he will need is a long-term treatment, education, healthy food, and when he is older physical activity," surgeon Cesar Ernesto Guevar told Colombian newspaper El Espectador.
Eunice promised to abide by doctors' orders, feed her son healthy foods and help him exercise when he comes home.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Reebok Launches Bacon Line to Lure CrossFit and Paleo Diet Fans
- Ebola Virus Vaccine Not Coming Soon Enough; Australia and New Zealand Prepare for Possible Outbreak
- Ebola Outbreak: Some Tips and Precautions to Keep It At Bay
- Most Parents See 'Nothing Wrong' with Overweight or Obese Children
- A Mother Of Two Dies While Undergoing Stem Cell Treatment
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers