Whopping 55lb Colombian 8-mo Baby Boy to Undergo Strict Diet, No Longer Cute!
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 20, 2014 12:33 PM EST
A charity in Colombia fighting obesity has stepped in to impose radical changes in the diet of an 8-month-old baby boy who no longer looks cute at his whopping 55-pound weight.
Volunteers at Chubby Hearts Foundation said they would evaluate young Santiago Mendoza's condition and try to bring down his weight to a manageable level before they conduct a series of operations. The organisation had agreed to fund the treatments.
Eight-month-old Santiago Mendoza sits at a clinic for the obese in Bogota March 19 ,2014. Mendoza, who weighs 20 kg, will be put on a diet, therapist Salvador Palacios said. REUTERS/John Vizcaino
Eunice Fandino, Santiago's mother, admitted the baby bloated to a Godzilla size because of her own doing.
The baby was born healthy and thriving, according to the mother, accepting in part some of the responsibility of Santiago's weight problems.
However, she claimed he was born with anxiety. "So if he cried I just fed him," she said.
Santiago has now been placed on a very strict diet to bring down his weight to 17 pounds. Once that weight is reached, Medellin-based Chubby Hearts Foundation will proceed with more advanced medical treatment.
However, doctors his early had said the child will likely have medical issues at some point in the future, such as joint problems, high blood pressure or diabetes.
"What he will need is a long-term treatment, education, healthy food, and when he is older physical activity," surgeon Cesar Ernesto Guevar told Colombian newspaper El Espectador.
Eunice promised to abide by doctors' orders, feed her son healthy foods and help him exercise when he comes home.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Kendall Jenner's Secret To A Slim and Sexy Body: All About Her Diet And Fitness Routine [Watch Video]
- Sleep Deprivation Among Teens Is The Main Cause of Low Academic Performance, Bad Behaviour And Lethargy, Finds Study
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Pilgrimage To Mecca: The Latest Health and Travel Advice For Muslim Hajj And Umrah With Regard To MERS-CoV
- Bill Gates Believes Ebola Could Spread Outside West Africa, Warns Countries Should Strengthen Healthcare
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate