Chelsea and Real Madrid Moved to Championship League Quarterfinal
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 20, 2014 12:28 PM EST
In a nail-biting game at the Championship League, Chelsea managed to secure their position into the quarter-finals after defeating Galatasaray. Real Madrid also moved one step up to the quarterfinal, defeating Schalke.
Chelsea won the match with two superb goals from Samuel Eto'o and Gary Cahill by 2-0.
Meanwhile, on the other match, Real Madrid ousted Schalke by 3-1. Madrid's key outfit, Ronaldo, scored two goals, while Álvaro Borja Morata scored the third one.
With 9-2 aggregate win over Schalke, Real lies in a comfortable position. However, a setback came when the promising youngster Jese Rodriguez suffered a serious knee injury which was later confirmed as a ruptured cruciate ligament.
As per AFP, Manager Carlo Ancelloti stated, "He has had bad luck and it is bad luck for Real Madrid because we are going to lose a very important, young player who has done very well this season and surprised everyone."
At the 21st minute of the first half, Madrid's Morata slides the ball down the channel for Gareth Bale who put a cross along the six yard box, giving Ronaldo a golden chance which he accomplished duly, leading the team by 1-0.
On 31st minute, Schalke's Tim Hoogland busts forward from right-back, taking a goal attempt from 25 yards. The shot took a huge deflection off Sergio Ramos and ends up in the corner of the net, leading to 1-1.
The second goal for Madrid came in the 74th minute of the second half when Ronaldo seized the second opportunity by lashing a strike that puts the ball just at the bottom right corner of the net. This is the 13th goal for Ronaldo in the Championship League.
The third goal came just after a minute from Álvaro Borja Morata, taking due opportunity of a silly mistake by Joël Matip, leading the team to 3-1.
In another match between Chelsea and Galatasaray, the first goal came right after the start of the match when Samuel Oto'o took the perfect opportunity to shoot the ball in the net.
The second goal came at 42' by Gary Cahill. As Fernando Muslera made a good save from the center-back's header, but that led the ball to Cahill's feet duly rebounding it back on the net.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers