Chelsea and Real Madrid Moved to Championship League Quarterfinal
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 20, 2014 12:28 PM EST
In a nail-biting game at the Championship League, Chelsea managed to secure their position into the quarter-finals after defeating Galatasaray. Real Madrid also moved one step up to the quarterfinal, defeating Schalke.
Chelsea won the match with two superb goals from Samuel Eto'o and Gary Cahill by 2-0.
Meanwhile, on the other match, Real Madrid ousted Schalke by 3-1. Madrid's key outfit, Ronaldo, scored two goals, while Álvaro Borja Morata scored the third one.
With 9-2 aggregate win over Schalke, Real lies in a comfortable position. However, a setback came when the promising youngster Jese Rodriguez suffered a serious knee injury which was later confirmed as a ruptured cruciate ligament.
As per AFP, Manager Carlo Ancelloti stated, "He has had bad luck and it is bad luck for Real Madrid because we are going to lose a very important, young player who has done very well this season and surprised everyone."
At the 21st minute of the first half, Madrid's Morata slides the ball down the channel for Gareth Bale who put a cross along the six yard box, giving Ronaldo a golden chance which he accomplished duly, leading the team by 1-0.
On 31st minute, Schalke's Tim Hoogland busts forward from right-back, taking a goal attempt from 25 yards. The shot took a huge deflection off Sergio Ramos and ends up in the corner of the net, leading to 1-1.
The second goal for Madrid came in the 74th minute of the second half when Ronaldo seized the second opportunity by lashing a strike that puts the ball just at the bottom right corner of the net. This is the 13th goal for Ronaldo in the Championship League.
The third goal came just after a minute from Álvaro Borja Morata, taking due opportunity of a silly mistake by Joël Matip, leading the team to 3-1.
In another match between Chelsea and Galatasaray, the first goal came right after the start of the match when Samuel Oto'o took the perfect opportunity to shoot the ball in the net.
The second goal came at 42' by Gary Cahill. As Fernando Muslera made a good save from the center-back's header, but that led the ball to Cahill's feet duly rebounding it back on the net.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change