Chelsea and Real Madrid Moved to Championship League Quarterfinal
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 20, 2014 12:28 PM EST
In a nail-biting game at the Championship League, Chelsea managed to secure their position into the quarter-finals after defeating Galatasaray. Real Madrid also moved one step up to the quarterfinal, defeating Schalke.
Chelsea won the match with two superb goals from Samuel Eto'o and Gary Cahill by 2-0.
Meanwhile, on the other match, Real Madrid ousted Schalke by 3-1. Madrid's key outfit, Ronaldo, scored two goals, while Álvaro Borja Morata scored the third one.
With 9-2 aggregate win over Schalke, Real lies in a comfortable position. However, a setback came when the promising youngster Jese Rodriguez suffered a serious knee injury which was later confirmed as a ruptured cruciate ligament.
As per AFP, Manager Carlo Ancelloti stated, "He has had bad luck and it is bad luck for Real Madrid because we are going to lose a very important, young player who has done very well this season and surprised everyone."
At the 21st minute of the first half, Madrid's Morata slides the ball down the channel for Gareth Bale who put a cross along the six yard box, giving Ronaldo a golden chance which he accomplished duly, leading the team by 1-0.
On 31st minute, Schalke's Tim Hoogland busts forward from right-back, taking a goal attempt from 25 yards. The shot took a huge deflection off Sergio Ramos and ends up in the corner of the net, leading to 1-1.
The second goal for Madrid came in the 74th minute of the second half when Ronaldo seized the second opportunity by lashing a strike that puts the ball just at the bottom right corner of the net. This is the 13th goal for Ronaldo in the Championship League.
The third goal came just after a minute from Álvaro Borja Morata, taking due opportunity of a silly mistake by Joël Matip, leading the team to 3-1.
In another match between Chelsea and Galatasaray, the first goal came right after the start of the match when Samuel Oto'o took the perfect opportunity to shoot the ball in the net.
The second goal came at 42' by Gary Cahill. As Fernando Muslera made a good save from the center-back's header, but that led the ball to Cahill's feet duly rebounding it back on the net.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date