Chelsea and Real Madrid Moved to Championship League Quarterfinal
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 20, 2014 12:28 PM EST
In a nail-biting game at the Championship League, Chelsea managed to secure their position into the quarter-finals after defeating Galatasaray. Real Madrid also moved one step up to the quarterfinal, defeating Schalke.
Chelsea won the match with two superb goals from Samuel Eto'o and Gary Cahill by 2-0.
Meanwhile, on the other match, Real Madrid ousted Schalke by 3-1. Madrid's key outfit, Ronaldo, scored two goals, while Álvaro Borja Morata scored the third one.
With 9-2 aggregate win over Schalke, Real lies in a comfortable position. However, a setback came when the promising youngster Jese Rodriguez suffered a serious knee injury which was later confirmed as a ruptured cruciate ligament.
As per AFP, Manager Carlo Ancelloti stated, "He has had bad luck and it is bad luck for Real Madrid because we are going to lose a very important, young player who has done very well this season and surprised everyone."
At the 21st minute of the first half, Madrid's Morata slides the ball down the channel for Gareth Bale who put a cross along the six yard box, giving Ronaldo a golden chance which he accomplished duly, leading the team by 1-0.
On 31st minute, Schalke's Tim Hoogland busts forward from right-back, taking a goal attempt from 25 yards. The shot took a huge deflection off Sergio Ramos and ends up in the corner of the net, leading to 1-1.
The second goal for Madrid came in the 74th minute of the second half when Ronaldo seized the second opportunity by lashing a strike that puts the ball just at the bottom right corner of the net. This is the 13th goal for Ronaldo in the Championship League.
The third goal came just after a minute from Álvaro Borja Morata, taking due opportunity of a silly mistake by Joël Matip, leading the team to 3-1.
In another match between Chelsea and Galatasaray, the first goal came right after the start of the match when Samuel Oto'o took the perfect opportunity to shoot the ball in the net.
The second goal came at 42' by Gary Cahill. As Fernando Muslera made a good save from the center-back's header, but that led the ball to Cahill's feet duly rebounding it back on the net.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies