Chelsea and Real Madrid Moved to Championship League Quarterfinal
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 20, 2014 12:28 PM EST
In a nail-biting game at the Championship League, Chelsea managed to secure their position into the quarter-finals after defeating Galatasaray. Real Madrid also moved one step up to the quarterfinal, defeating Schalke.
Chelsea won the match with two superb goals from Samuel Eto'o and Gary Cahill by 2-0.
Meanwhile, on the other match, Real Madrid ousted Schalke by 3-1. Madrid's key outfit, Ronaldo, scored two goals, while Álvaro Borja Morata scored the third one.
With 9-2 aggregate win over Schalke, Real lies in a comfortable position. However, a setback came when the promising youngster Jese Rodriguez suffered a serious knee injury which was later confirmed as a ruptured cruciate ligament.
As per AFP, Manager Carlo Ancelloti stated, "He has had bad luck and it is bad luck for Real Madrid because we are going to lose a very important, young player who has done very well this season and surprised everyone."
At the 21st minute of the first half, Madrid's Morata slides the ball down the channel for Gareth Bale who put a cross along the six yard box, giving Ronaldo a golden chance which he accomplished duly, leading the team by 1-0.
On 31st minute, Schalke's Tim Hoogland busts forward from right-back, taking a goal attempt from 25 yards. The shot took a huge deflection off Sergio Ramos and ends up in the corner of the net, leading to 1-1.
The second goal for Madrid came in the 74th minute of the second half when Ronaldo seized the second opportunity by lashing a strike that puts the ball just at the bottom right corner of the net. This is the 13th goal for Ronaldo in the Championship League.
The third goal came just after a minute from Álvaro Borja Morata, taking due opportunity of a silly mistake by Joël Matip, leading the team to 3-1.
In another match between Chelsea and Galatasaray, the first goal came right after the start of the match when Samuel Oto'o took the perfect opportunity to shoot the ball in the net.
The second goal came at 42' by Gary Cahill. As Fernando Muslera made a good save from the center-back's header, but that led the ball to Cahill's feet duly rebounding it back on the net.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports