Boxing News 2014: Experts Say Bricks in Maidana’s Hands Could Give Mayweather 1st Defeat
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 20, 2014 10:12 AM EST
American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr may have made the mistake of picking Argentinean pugilist Marcos Maidana as his opponent in their May 3 bout. One of his expected last fights could turn out to be his first defeat, boxing experts warn.
Money May, one day, may regret the day he picked Maidana over British boxer Amir Khan who actually won an online poll on who deserves to be Mayweather's next opponent.
For Sergio Martinez, Maidana has the power in his hands to beat the pound-for-pound king , citing the "two bricks" in the hands of the WBA welterweight champion as boosting his chance of a victory over Floyd Jr.
Martinez said that Maidana would have a fair chance of winning over Money May, but he has to "cut off the ring" and "throw massive amounts of punches in each round." He also needs more consistent efforts against Mayweather.
But Allan Fox of Boxing News 24 thinks otherwise. Fox said that a Maidana win is only possible if Money May would plant his feet and fight in a stationary manner similar to how Adrien Broner - whom Maidana beat - fought.
Fox noted that Maidana's punches sometimes land on the back of the head like his bout with Broner in December 2013, and he acknowledged that kind of punch is dangerous even for Mayweather.
Robert Garcia, Maidana's trainer, said he would train his ward to throw 100 punches per round to win over Money May, which he admits is not an easy task, but not impossible.
Maidana likewise believes he has a fair chance. He told Boxingscene, "I wanted to earn this fight to remain in the history of Argentine boxing. That's why I wanted this fight very much. It is a very big opportunity for me. I believe that with the type of punches that I throw, I can knock him out."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments