Boxing News 2014: Experts Say Bricks in Maidana’s Hands Could Give Mayweather 1st Defeat
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 20, 2014 10:12 AM EST
American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr may have made the mistake of picking Argentinean pugilist Marcos Maidana as his opponent in their May 3 bout. One of his expected last fights could turn out to be his first defeat, boxing experts warn.
Money May, one day, may regret the day he picked Maidana over British boxer Amir Khan who actually won an online poll on who deserves to be Mayweather's next opponent.
For Sergio Martinez, Maidana has the power in his hands to beat the pound-for-pound king , citing the "two bricks" in the hands of the WBA welterweight champion as boosting his chance of a victory over Floyd Jr.
Martinez said that Maidana would have a fair chance of winning over Money May, but he has to "cut off the ring" and "throw massive amounts of punches in each round." He also needs more consistent efforts against Mayweather.
But Allan Fox of Boxing News 24 thinks otherwise. Fox said that a Maidana win is only possible if Money May would plant his feet and fight in a stationary manner similar to how Adrien Broner - whom Maidana beat - fought.
Fox noted that Maidana's punches sometimes land on the back of the head like his bout with Broner in December 2013, and he acknowledged that kind of punch is dangerous even for Mayweather.
Robert Garcia, Maidana's trainer, said he would train his ward to throw 100 punches per round to win over Money May, which he admits is not an easy task, but not impossible.
Maidana likewise believes he has a fair chance. He told Boxingscene, "I wanted to earn this fight to remain in the history of Argentine boxing. That's why I wanted this fight very much. It is a very big opportunity for me. I believe that with the type of punches that I throw, I can knock him out."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight Won't Happen As Long As Bob Arum Is Involved, Says Pacquiao's Former Conditioning Coach
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4