iPhone 6: 'Mother Lode' of All Upgrade Cycles - ISI
By Karla Danica Figuerres | March 20, 2014 1:23 AM EST
A report claiming iPhones will have bigger screen could add over $3 in EPS in the second half of the year. This was published by Brian Marshall, an ISI Apple analyst. According to the report, the upgrade cycle will not be fully reflected in the stock price.
"Large-screen envy is prevalent among the iPhone installed base" and "we believe a ~5" form-factor iPhone would spark a massive upgrade cycle as well as many 'Android switchers' returning back to the iPhone," Marshall said.
This summer, Marshall noted Apple will release two variants of iPhone in 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch displays. He cited in the 2011 to 2012 timeframe, about 10 to 11 percent of iPhone owners upgraded in any quarter, which has recently fallen to 9 percent recently.
December had the highest replacement rates since the iPhones hit the shelves but the upgrade rates fell in the past 2 years because of seemingly less reason to upgrade.
By the end of this quarter, Marshall estimated Apple will have sold over 500 million iPhones and approximately 260 million units are the present initial base. At an average selling price of $600, each 1 percent incremental replacement rate generates $1.56 billion in revenues based on Marshall's 260 million initial base.
Marshall predicted the replacement rate might get back to its peak from 12 to 14 percent when iPhone 6 hits the shelves.
In the event that iPhone's gross margin will reach 45 percent, each 1 percent incremental replacement rate would add $0.59 and $3.55 in EPS in 2014.
In a nutshell, it is quite hard to argue that iPhones with bigger screen will not increase the replacement rate. But the question on how high the replacement rate moves up arises given that much of the present initial base is locked in for 2 years.
Marshall's 2014 EPS prediction is $42.50 devoid of incremental iPhone upgrade assumption and it would increase to $46 if the prediction is accurate. Although the timing is a bit off track, its effect might shift to March 2015.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Sears Outlet Black Friday 2014 Sale Includes Up To 60% Off On All Refrigerators And Up To 50% Off On All Washers And Dryers
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast