Project Morpheus: Sony Forays into Virtual Reality with New Prototype
By Aditya Bhat | March 19, 2014 10:57 PM EST
The rumored virtual reality (VR) system from Sony has been confirmed and the new prototype, Project Morpheus was introduced at the ongoing GDC 2014 in San Francisco. The new product will be working with PlayStation 4 and it has a black wrapped visor on the position of eye and the edges emanate a glow of blue LED.
Project Morpheus introduced by Sony as its VR system.
"This new technology will deliver a sense of presence, where you as the player actually feel like you're inside the game and your emotions feel that much more real," said Shuhei Yoshida, president, SCE Worldwide Studios in PlayStation blog.
"Sony has announced its foray into the world of virtual reality adds possibilities in game development," said Yoshida adding that he had dreamed of it.
This new prototype has features like:
- Head mounted display with 1080p resolution.
- It has a 90 degree field of view.
- It has built-in accelerometer and gyroscope sensors.
- 3D audio technology.
- Rotation of virtual world image in real-time.
- Full 360 degree positional tracking.
- Ergonomic design.
Project Morpheus will be working seamlessly with the following devices:
- PlayStation Camera
- DualShock4 Wireless Controller
- PlayStation Move
Yoshida also promised that the prototype will be soon available to game developers in order to create games using the product.
"Virtual reality is the next innovation from PlayStation that will shape the future of games," Polygon quoted Yoshida. He added that the prototype will be constantly improved upon, based on the feedback from various developers and that is the reason for its introduction in GDC 2014.
Dr. Richard Marks, senior director of research and development at Sony Computer Entertainment said the prototype will not only be used for game, but also for other projects like using it in an virtual walk on the Mars surface in partnership with NASA.
There were already indications that developers like Epic Games and Crytek were already in working with Project Morpheus.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon