Project Morpheus: Sony Forays into Virtual Reality with New Prototype
By Aditya Bhat | March 19, 2014 10:57 PM EST
The rumored virtual reality (VR) system from Sony has been confirmed and the new prototype, Project Morpheus was introduced at the ongoing GDC 2014 in San Francisco. The new product will be working with PlayStation 4 and it has a black wrapped visor on the position of eye and the edges emanate a glow of blue LED.
Project Morpheus introduced by Sony as its VR system.
"This new technology will deliver a sense of presence, where you as the player actually feel like you're inside the game and your emotions feel that much more real," said Shuhei Yoshida, president, SCE Worldwide Studios in PlayStation blog.
"Sony has announced its foray into the world of virtual reality adds possibilities in game development," said Yoshida adding that he had dreamed of it.
This new prototype has features like:
- Head mounted display with 1080p resolution.
- It has a 90 degree field of view.
- It has built-in accelerometer and gyroscope sensors.
- 3D audio technology.
- Rotation of virtual world image in real-time.
- Full 360 degree positional tracking.
- Ergonomic design.
Project Morpheus will be working seamlessly with the following devices:
- PlayStation Camera
- DualShock4 Wireless Controller
- PlayStation Move
Yoshida also promised that the prototype will be soon available to game developers in order to create games using the product.
"Virtual reality is the next innovation from PlayStation that will shape the future of games," Polygon quoted Yoshida. He added that the prototype will be constantly improved upon, based on the feedback from various developers and that is the reason for its introduction in GDC 2014.
Dr. Richard Marks, senior director of research and development at Sony Computer Entertainment said the prototype will not only be used for game, but also for other projects like using it in an virtual walk on the Mars surface in partnership with NASA.
There were already indications that developers like Epic Games and Crytek were already in working with Project Morpheus.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- 'Destiny' Third Subclass Weapon Upgrades: Super And Grenade Modifications Leaked [Video]
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible
- ‘Destiny’ ‘The Dark Below’ DLC: XP Boosters, New Armours Revealed, Atheon Fixes
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar