Project Morpheus: Sony Forays into Virtual Reality with New Prototype
By Aditya Bhat | March 19, 2014 10:57 PM EST
The rumored virtual reality (VR) system from Sony has been confirmed and the new prototype, Project Morpheus was introduced at the ongoing GDC 2014 in San Francisco. The new product will be working with PlayStation 4 and it has a black wrapped visor on the position of eye and the edges emanate a glow of blue LED.
Project Morpheus introduced by Sony as its VR system.
Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare: New Patch Release, Full Patch Notes; Garden Variety Pack DLC Detailed
Battlefield 4: Dragon's Teeth Expansion Pack Detailed; New Teaser Trailer of Naval Strike DLC [VIDEO]
"This new technology will deliver a sense of presence, where you as the player actually feel like you're inside the game and your emotions feel that much more real," said Shuhei Yoshida, president, SCE Worldwide Studios in PlayStation blog.
"Sony has announced its foray into the world of virtual reality adds possibilities in game development," said Yoshida adding that he had dreamed of it.
This new prototype has features like:
- Head mounted display with 1080p resolution.
- It has a 90 degree field of view.
- It has built-in accelerometer and gyroscope sensors.
- 3D audio technology.
- Rotation of virtual world image in real-time.
- Full 360 degree positional tracking.
- Ergonomic design.
Project Morpheus will be working seamlessly with the following devices:
- PlayStation Camera
- DualShock4 Wireless Controller
- PlayStation Move
Yoshida also promised that the prototype will be soon available to game developers in order to create games using the product.
"Virtual reality is the next innovation from PlayStation that will shape the future of games," Polygon quoted Yoshida. He added that the prototype will be constantly improved upon, based on the feedback from various developers and that is the reason for its introduction in GDC 2014.
Dr. Richard Marks, senior director of research and development at Sony Computer Entertainment said the prototype will not only be used for game, but also for other projects like using it in an virtual walk on the Mars surface in partnership with NASA.
There were already indications that developers like Epic Games and Crytek were already in working with Project Morpheus.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Confirmed With Demo, More Info Revealed
- Android L 5.0 Eligible And Ineligible Devices: Nexus Gadgets, Google Play Edition And Android One
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition': Three Classes Confirmed—Warrior, Mage And Rogue Abilities Exposed
- Know More About ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Team Aqua And Magma, Pokemon Bank and Global Link
- 'The Sims 4' Disappointing In-Game Factors And Pixelated Downloadable Pirated Copies
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet