Project Morpheus: Sony Forays into Virtual Reality with New Prototype
By Aditya Bhat | March 19, 2014 10:57 PM EST
The rumored virtual reality (VR) system from Sony has been confirmed and the new prototype, Project Morpheus was introduced at the ongoing GDC 2014 in San Francisco. The new product will be working with PlayStation 4 and it has a black wrapped visor on the position of eye and the edges emanate a glow of blue LED.
Project Morpheus introduced by Sony as its VR system.
"This new technology will deliver a sense of presence, where you as the player actually feel like you're inside the game and your emotions feel that much more real," said Shuhei Yoshida, president, SCE Worldwide Studios in PlayStation blog.
"Sony has announced its foray into the world of virtual reality adds possibilities in game development," said Yoshida adding that he had dreamed of it.
This new prototype has features like:
- Head mounted display with 1080p resolution.
- It has a 90 degree field of view.
- It has built-in accelerometer and gyroscope sensors.
- 3D audio technology.
- Rotation of virtual world image in real-time.
- Full 360 degree positional tracking.
- Ergonomic design.
Project Morpheus will be working seamlessly with the following devices:
- PlayStation Camera
- DualShock4 Wireless Controller
- PlayStation Move
Yoshida also promised that the prototype will be soon available to game developers in order to create games using the product.
"Virtual reality is the next innovation from PlayStation that will shape the future of games," Polygon quoted Yoshida. He added that the prototype will be constantly improved upon, based on the feedback from various developers and that is the reason for its introduction in GDC 2014.
Dr. Richard Marks, senior director of research and development at Sony Computer Entertainment said the prototype will not only be used for game, but also for other projects like using it in an virtual walk on the Mars surface in partnership with NASA.
There were already indications that developers like Epic Games and Crytek were already in working with Project Morpheus.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates From Devs Plus More On Minecraft On The Xbox Platform
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ Delayed To November As ‘Rogue’ Gets More Story Details
- 'World Of Warcraft’ Brings Back The ‘Gaze Of The Black Prince’ Buff From Sept. 2-16, 2014 After ‘Warlords Of Draenor' Patch 6.0.1 Beta Notes Update [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition': Romancing Solas, Morrigan's Human Side And Dragon Age Keep User Interface
- ‘Destiny’ Updates: Devs Talk About Raids and ‘Destiny’ Preorder And Preloading
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display