Project Morpheus: Sony Forays into Virtual Reality with New Prototype
By Aditya Bhat | March 19, 2014 10:57 PM EST
The rumored virtual reality (VR) system from Sony has been confirmed and the new prototype, Project Morpheus was introduced at the ongoing GDC 2014 in San Francisco. The new product will be working with PlayStation 4 and it has a black wrapped visor on the position of eye and the edges emanate a glow of blue LED.
Project Morpheus introduced by Sony as its VR system.
"This new technology will deliver a sense of presence, where you as the player actually feel like you're inside the game and your emotions feel that much more real," said Shuhei Yoshida, president, SCE Worldwide Studios in PlayStation blog.
"Sony has announced its foray into the world of virtual reality adds possibilities in game development," said Yoshida adding that he had dreamed of it.
This new prototype has features like:
- Head mounted display with 1080p resolution.
- It has a 90 degree field of view.
- It has built-in accelerometer and gyroscope sensors.
- 3D audio technology.
- Rotation of virtual world image in real-time.
- Full 360 degree positional tracking.
- Ergonomic design.
Project Morpheus will be working seamlessly with the following devices:
- PlayStation Camera
- DualShock4 Wireless Controller
- PlayStation Move
Yoshida also promised that the prototype will be soon available to game developers in order to create games using the product.
"Virtual reality is the next innovation from PlayStation that will shape the future of games," Polygon quoted Yoshida. He added that the prototype will be constantly improved upon, based on the feedback from various developers and that is the reason for its introduction in GDC 2014.
Dr. Richard Marks, senior director of research and development at Sony Computer Entertainment said the prototype will not only be used for game, but also for other projects like using it in an virtual walk on the Mars surface in partnership with NASA.
There were already indications that developers like Epic Games and Crytek were already in working with Project Morpheus.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 635: Microsoft Drops AT&T Smartphone's Price For 2014 Black Friday Sale
- Google’s Mobile Search To Lessen Stress Of Black Friday Shopping
- ‘Destiny’ Dev Holds Own Black Friday 2014 Sale As More The Dark Below Details Get Revealed
- Apple’s Black Friday Sale Versus Other Retailers
- The Pirate Bay Down In The US: TPB Crew Resolved The Routing Issues
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report