iPhone 6 Release Date: iPhone 5C Price Brought Down for New Flagship Smartphone's Early Launch?
By Raymond Ronamai | March 19, 2014 7:07 PM EST
Apple Inc. has not revealed the release date of iPhone 6 but the announcement of an 8GB version of its so-called low-cost iPhone 5C at an even lower price has sparked off speculations that the company is planning an early launch of its upcoming flagship smartphone.
Screenshot from KDB Daewoo Sec
iPhone 6 vs Galaxy S5
There are conflicting reports on the release date of the new device, with some arguing that it would be unveiled at the WWDC event in June, while others say it would see the light of the day only in September.
Apple Inc. has brought down the price of its 'not so popular' smartphone iPhone 5C, by announcing an 8GB version of the device, priced £429. The device is available on O2 website priced at £28 a month with a £49.99 payment upfront, according to The Inquirer. EE also listed the device on its website at £99 on an £18.99 per month 4G plan.
The low-storage version was announced on Monday, probably to counter the poor sales of the smartphone.
More than three million iPhone 5C units - two millions in Pegatron's warehouses and one million with the carriers and retailers - have remained unsold, according to a report by iDigitalTimes.
Several reports had claimed that iPhone 5S made good business but the low cost iPhone 5C was a flop. So it looks like Apple has brought down the price of the device with a low-storage variant, in order to boost its sales ahead of the launch of its new flagship smartphone.
It may be recalled that several reports had surfaced a few days ago, claiming that Walmart had cut the price of the 16 GB iPhone 5S and 5C. The 16 GB iPhone 5S price has been dropped from $145 to $119, while the 5C is down from $45 to $29 for customers willing to sign two-year contracts with AT&T and Verizon, according to CNN Money.
iPhone 6 is expected to sport a 4.7/4.8' or 5.5' display with a 1920x1080p (440ppi), or a 2272×1280 (510ppi), powered by the A8 chip (64-bit) and run on iOS 7.2, according to South Korean brokerage KDB Daewoo Securities. Several reports claimed that the new flagship smartphone will have a scratch-free sapphire crystal glass screen.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report