Brisbane Lions Vice-captain Tom Rockliff Reconfirmes Berth
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 19, 2014 6:18 PM EST
Brisbane Lions vice-captain Tom Rockliff reconfirmed his position with the team for his long-standing development as a true leader and brilliant midfielder.
The new contract has reserved Rockliff till the end of 2017 season with an estimate of $600,000 a season. Meanwhile, midfielder Jack Redden and small forward Josh Green also signed two-year deals.
Sam Meyes also reconfirmed his berth in February with the club for another two years. The new deal came at the right time as the Lions will face the formidable Hawthorn in Launceston on Saturday.
Green, upon signing the contract ,said, "I am very excited to extend my time with the Lions as Brisbane is now home."
"There is a lot of exciting young talent at the club and I really want to be a part of the future of our footy club."
Rockliff, who was heavily favoured by Melbourne during the off-season, decided finally to stay back with the Lions which supported him at a crucial juncture of his sporting career.
Having made his debut in 2009 against Collingwood, Rockliff got to play only one game that year.
In 2010, Rockliff secured his position again with the Brisbane Lions in Round 3. From that point, he had always been in the midfield position. He also received AFL Rising Star nomination and finished third behind Daniel Hannebery and Tom Scully.
The year 2011 was favorable to Rockliff as he ended the season averaging 27.7 disposals, 5.6 marks and 5.4 tackles per game. Considering his brilliant performance, Rockliff was bestowed the club's Best and Fairest award.
Rockliff continued his performance in 2013, having an average of 27.3 disposals and adding 30 more disposals for 9 times. He also finished in the 5th position in the Brownlow medal polling with 21 votes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’