Billionaire Sells Apple (AAPL) Shares; Apple Tops Billion Dollar Brands List
By Athena Yenko | March 19, 2014 6:13 PM EST
Ivan Streshinskiy, head of Usmanov's asset management company USM Advisors LLC, told Bloomberg that the billionaire sold shares of Apple Inc. to focus on his investments in China's growing technology stocks. The billionaire also plans to buy more stakes in the Russian market.
"Chinese companies account for about 70 percent to 80 percent of the portfolio of our foreign Internet investments. Most of the investment is in Alibaba, JD.com and some other companies with great potential," Streshinskiy said.
Usmanov's asset management company believes that crisis is a great opportunity to invest on stocks. And while the Crimea crisis is still ongoing, the company plans to invest on Russian companies like Mail.Ru and MegaFon.
"Mail.Ru and MegaFon revenue is coming from Russia and people won't stop making calls and using the Internet. If the events will further escalate, we will be buying shares. Crisis is always a good opportunity as valuations become cheap," Mr Streshinskiy said.
Mr Usmanov bought his shares of Apple Inc. in March 2013 when Apple Inc.'s stock advanced by 23 per cent. He bought $100 million worth of Apple stock.
However, Apple Inc.'s stock had declined by 6 per cent in the early months of 2014.
"We hope that our investments in China's Internet companies may show the same and even better returns as we had with the American companies," Streshinskiy said.
Mr Usmanov also sold shares of Facebook (FB:US).
Meanwhile, Apple Inc. still tops Brand Finance's Billion Dollar Brands list.
According to Brand Finance, Apple's brand is worth $104.6 billion - more than Google's valuation at $68.6 billion.
To come up with its list of Billion Dollar Brands, Brand Finance estimated the royalty rate charged by companies when its brand is used. The royalty rate is then added to estimated future revenue.
Technology companies dominated the top ten spots - Microsoft at number 3, GE at number 5 and Amazon at number 7.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish Can't Play in the U.S. Open Due to Drug Testing Issues
- Billy Bob Thornton Want to Play Hodor in Game Of Thrones
- Fukushima Radiation Tests on Waters Along U.S. Coast Yield Negative Results
- Zac Efron Equates Boozing to a Social Stimulant, Admits Why He Checked into Rehab Last Year
- Celebrities Who Stripped Naked for Women's Health