Billionaire Sells Apple (AAPL) Shares; Apple Tops Billion Dollar Brands List
By Athena Yenko | March 19, 2014 6:13 PM EST
Ivan Streshinskiy, head of Usmanov's asset management company USM Advisors LLC, told Bloomberg that the billionaire sold shares of Apple Inc. to focus on his investments in China's growing technology stocks. The billionaire also plans to buy more stakes in the Russian market.
"Chinese companies account for about 70 percent to 80 percent of the portfolio of our foreign Internet investments. Most of the investment is in Alibaba, JD.com and some other companies with great potential," Streshinskiy said.
Usmanov's asset management company believes that crisis is a great opportunity to invest on stocks. And while the Crimea crisis is still ongoing, the company plans to invest on Russian companies like Mail.Ru and MegaFon.
"Mail.Ru and MegaFon revenue is coming from Russia and people won't stop making calls and using the Internet. If the events will further escalate, we will be buying shares. Crisis is always a good opportunity as valuations become cheap," Mr Streshinskiy said.
Mr Usmanov bought his shares of Apple Inc. in March 2013 when Apple Inc.'s stock advanced by 23 per cent. He bought $100 million worth of Apple stock.
However, Apple Inc.'s stock had declined by 6 per cent in the early months of 2014.
"We hope that our investments in China's Internet companies may show the same and even better returns as we had with the American companies," Streshinskiy said.
Mr Usmanov also sold shares of Facebook (FB:US).
Meanwhile, Apple Inc. still tops Brand Finance's Billion Dollar Brands list.
According to Brand Finance, Apple's brand is worth $104.6 billion - more than Google's valuation at $68.6 billion.
To come up with its list of Billion Dollar Brands, Brand Finance estimated the royalty rate charged by companies when its brand is used. The royalty rate is then added to estimated future revenue.
Technology companies dominated the top ten spots - Microsoft at number 3, GE at number 5 and Amazon at number 7.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Malaysian Airlines Ukraine Tragedy Hits Asian Stock Markets
- New Zealand's Largest Snack Food Company Bought for NZ$700 Million
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People