Essendon's David Zaharakis Signed the Deal
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 19, 2014 6:11 PM EST
The midfielder of Essendon, David Zaharakis, signed a three-year contract as an extension with the club, thus confirming his stay till 2017.
Former W.S. Crichton medal winner, David Zaharakis, had a hard time with back injuries over the past two seasons. He also suffered one major setback last summer when he was sidelined of the club's leadership group, despite ending 10th in the Crichton medal nomination for 2013.
Zaharakis had played 87 games and bagged 37 goals over the last five seasons and was thrilled to secure his future at the club that he always favoured for.
Zaharakis mentioned in the club's Web site, "I'm proud to play for this great football club, I've supported the Bombers since I was a young boy so to re-sign for a further three years, I couldn't be happier."
"All parties were keen to settle my contract before round one and I'm looking forward to the season starting on Friday night and hopefully helping the team win our first four points of the season."
"As a playing group we're extremely excited about the progress we've made over the pre-season and if we continue to demand high standards from one another, I believe we have a really exciting future ahead of us."
Zaharakis, selected by Essendon during the 2008 AFL Draft, had previously played with the Northern Knights in the TAC Cup also captained in 2008.
He was awarded the number 11 Guernsey which belonged to Damien Peverill and has been in this number throughout most of his career.
In 2013, at the Anzac Day Match where Essendon defeated Collingwood by 46 points, Zaharakis was awarded the Anzac Day Medal for best-on-ground performance.
In his debut season he played 10 games and 20 in 2010. The year 2011 was the most consistent for Zaharakis. earning lots of accolade for this season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- WWE SummerSlam: Orton Vs Reigns Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers