Essendon's David Zaharakis Signed the Deal
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 19, 2014 6:11 PM EST
The midfielder of Essendon, David Zaharakis, signed a three-year contract as an extension with the club, thus confirming his stay till 2017.
Former W.S. Crichton medal winner, David Zaharakis, had a hard time with back injuries over the past two seasons. He also suffered one major setback last summer when he was sidelined of the club's leadership group, despite ending 10th in the Crichton medal nomination for 2013.
Zaharakis had played 87 games and bagged 37 goals over the last five seasons and was thrilled to secure his future at the club that he always favoured for.
Zaharakis mentioned in the club's Web site, "I'm proud to play for this great football club, I've supported the Bombers since I was a young boy so to re-sign for a further three years, I couldn't be happier."
"All parties were keen to settle my contract before round one and I'm looking forward to the season starting on Friday night and hopefully helping the team win our first four points of the season."
"As a playing group we're extremely excited about the progress we've made over the pre-season and if we continue to demand high standards from one another, I believe we have a really exciting future ahead of us."
Zaharakis, selected by Essendon during the 2008 AFL Draft, had previously played with the Northern Knights in the TAC Cup also captained in 2008.
He was awarded the number 11 Guernsey which belonged to Damien Peverill and has been in this number throughout most of his career.
In 2013, at the Anzac Day Match where Essendon defeated Collingwood by 46 points, Zaharakis was awarded the Anzac Day Medal for best-on-ground performance.
In his debut season he played 10 games and 20 in 2010. The year 2011 was the most consistent for Zaharakis. earning lots of accolade for this season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories