Essendon's David Zaharakis Signed the Deal
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 19, 2014 6:11 PM EST
The midfielder of Essendon, David Zaharakis, signed a three-year contract as an extension with the club, thus confirming his stay till 2017.
Former W.S. Crichton medal winner, David Zaharakis, had a hard time with back injuries over the past two seasons. He also suffered one major setback last summer when he was sidelined of the club's leadership group, despite ending 10th in the Crichton medal nomination for 2013.
Zaharakis had played 87 games and bagged 37 goals over the last five seasons and was thrilled to secure his future at the club that he always favoured for.
Zaharakis mentioned in the club's Web site, "I'm proud to play for this great football club, I've supported the Bombers since I was a young boy so to re-sign for a further three years, I couldn't be happier."
"All parties were keen to settle my contract before round one and I'm looking forward to the season starting on Friday night and hopefully helping the team win our first four points of the season."
"As a playing group we're extremely excited about the progress we've made over the pre-season and if we continue to demand high standards from one another, I believe we have a really exciting future ahead of us."
Zaharakis, selected by Essendon during the 2008 AFL Draft, had previously played with the Northern Knights in the TAC Cup also captained in 2008.
He was awarded the number 11 Guernsey which belonged to Damien Peverill and has been in this number throughout most of his career.
In 2013, at the Anzac Day Match where Essendon defeated Collingwood by 46 points, Zaharakis was awarded the Anzac Day Medal for best-on-ground performance.
In his debut season he played 10 games and 20 in 2010. The year 2011 was the most consistent for Zaharakis. earning lots of accolade for this season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Rumours Spice Up as Balotelli is Spotted in New York, where Gunners will Hold Pre-season Camp [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales