Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon 3/19/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | March 19, 2014 5:59 PM EST
The Australian share market has closed slightly firmer today, with the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) adding 12.8 points or 0.2 per cent by close to 5373 points. The market had a volatile session, with the All Ords being down to 5351 points at one time, despite positive offshore gains.
A woman walks past a screen showing market indices in Tokyo, on 22 August.
Retailer David Jones (DJS) issued its 1H numbers to the market today. DJS posted a 1H profit of $70.1 million, down 4.6 per cent on the prior corresponding period. The result came despite stronger sales in the period, with DJS attributing the fall in profit to lower earnings from its financial services division following changes to its agreement with in-store card provider American Express. A 1H dividend of 10c per share was declared. The result was slightly better than some in the market had expected, but DJS shares closed down 0.3 per cent to $3.32. Rival Myer (MYR), which comes out with numbers tomorrow, rose 0.4 per cent to $2.66.
Property developer Stockland (SGP) paid $435.3 million for 115 million shares or a 19.9 per cent stake in Australand Property (ALZ). SGP shares fell 2.6 per cent to $3.75 while ALZ was up 2.3 per cent to $3.98.
Online travel agent Wotif.com (WTF) was asked to explain its recent run up in share price to the ASX today after a large volume of shares were traded on the open. WTF said it was not aware of any reason for the high volume or lift in its share price but did mention senior management are meeting with investors this week. WTF shares rose 23 per cent to $3 today.
Shares in Mark Bouris's Yellow Brick Road (YBR) gained 17.3 per cent to 61c after the company announced a restructure and flagged three potential acquisitions within the financial services industry.
And despite many investors dumping their Qantas (QAN) shares in the wake of the airline's $252 million loss announced in February, US investment giant Franklin Templeton Investments has revealed it has lifted its stake to 17.5 per cent through the purchase of 3.4 million shares since late last month. QAN added 0.5 per cent to $1.09 today.
2.4 billion shares changed hands today, worth $6.9 billion. 479 were up, 467 were down and 370 were unchanged.
At 4.30pm AEDT the SFE 200 Futures market was at 5357, up 9 points.
Ahead tonight, the US Federal Reserve will hand down its monetary policy decision. Current account data is released.
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers