Tiger Woods Pulls Out of Arnold Palmer Invitational, Doubtful for Masters
By Deepak Vikraman | March 19, 2014 5:55 PM EST
Tiger Woods pulled out of the Arnold Palmer Invitation due to injury, and is now a major doubt for the Masters.
Woods has been struggling with a back problem for quite a while now and posted on his official website he would not be able to defend his title in Orlando.
"I personally called Arnold to tell him that, sadly, I won't be able to play in his tournament this year," Woods said in a statement on his website. "I would like to express my regrets to the Orlando fans, the volunteers, the tournament staff and the sponsors for having to miss the event.
"Unfortunately my back spasms and the pain haven't subsided. It's too early to know about the Masters and I will continue to be evaluated and work closely with my doctors. I feel badly that I won't be able to play in this great tournament this week."
Woods has had issues with his back all season, and pulled out of the Honda Classic after 13 holes on 2 March. The 38-year-old then continued to be troubled by his back at the WGC-Cadillac Championship at Doral a week later and looked frustrated.
The 14-time Major winner seemed aggravate the injury in the final round, on his way to shooting a disastrous 78, his highest ever score in the final round as a professional.
"If it flares up, it flares up," he said after the painful round. "It's just a matter of keeping it calm, and we had a quick turnaround here from last week. It would be nice to have a week off where I can shut it down and get some treatment."
Woods is currently enduring a Major drought and is desperate to catch up with Jack Nicklaus' record of 18 Majors, and missing out on the Masters at Augusta National, starting on 10 April, will be a major blow.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report