Tiger Woods Pulls Out of Arnold Palmer Invitational, Doubtful for Masters
By Deepak Vikraman | March 19, 2014 5:55 PM EST
Tiger Woods pulled out of the Arnold Palmer Invitation due to injury, and is now a major doubt for the Masters.
Woods has been struggling with a back problem for quite a while now and posted on his official website he would not be able to defend his title in Orlando.
"I personally called Arnold to tell him that, sadly, I won't be able to play in his tournament this year," Woods said in a statement on his website. "I would like to express my regrets to the Orlando fans, the volunteers, the tournament staff and the sponsors for having to miss the event.
"Unfortunately my back spasms and the pain haven't subsided. It's too early to know about the Masters and I will continue to be evaluated and work closely with my doctors. I feel badly that I won't be able to play in this great tournament this week."
Woods has had issues with his back all season, and pulled out of the Honda Classic after 13 holes on 2 March. The 38-year-old then continued to be troubled by his back at the WGC-Cadillac Championship at Doral a week later and looked frustrated.
The 14-time Major winner seemed aggravate the injury in the final round, on his way to shooting a disastrous 78, his highest ever score in the final round as a professional.
"If it flares up, it flares up," he said after the painful round. "It's just a matter of keeping it calm, and we had a quick turnaround here from last week. It would be nice to have a week off where I can shut it down and get some treatment."
Woods is currently enduring a Major drought and is desperate to catch up with Jack Nicklaus' record of 18 Majors, and missing out on the Masters at Augusta National, starting on 10 April, will be a major blow.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up