Yamaha India Recalls YZF-R1 Over Faulty Head Light Lead Coupler
By greeshma m | March 19, 2014 5:06 PM EST
Yamaha Motor's concept 250cc motorcycle R25 is displayed at the 43rd Tokyo Motor Show in Tokyo
The recall is limited to the YZF-R1, which were manufactured between October 2008 and August 2013 and the company would replace the headlight sub lead in these vehicles. The recall is in accordance with the requirements of the parent company Yamaha Motor .Globally, the Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere is also being recalled along with the YZF-R1 bikes.
"Yamaha Motor Co., Japan, has determined that a defect which relates to headlight lead coupler overheating and melting exists in YZF-R 1 motorcycle falling within certain production numbers. This headlight sub lead must be replaced at the earliest in the motorcycles falling within certain production numbers," the company said.
[Check here to know whether your motorcycle is affected]
The replacement will be carried out free of cost and the owners of the aforementioned two-wheelers are requested to check if their bikes are affected. The company also asked the owners to avoid using the YZF-R1 motorcycle until the problem is fixed.
"For your convenience, Yamaha is initiating a factory modification campaign, where the affected motorcycles must get the headlight sub lead replaced with a modified one," the company said on its website.
Powered by a 998 cc liquid-cooled, four-stroke, DOHC, four-valve engine, YZF-R1 is retailed at ₹14.50 lakh in India. The engine delivers a power of 182.1 PS at 12,500 rpm and a torque of 115.5 Nm at 10,000 rpm. It measures 2,070 mm in length, 715 mm in width, 1,130 mm in height and has a wheelbase of 1,415 mm.
In India, recalling the vehicles have become a common affair after the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) introduced a voluntary recall policy in July last year.
Meanwhile, Yamaha website revstation.com has started the countdown for the launch of its next offering. Although the video on the website does not reveal the product, rumours suggest that the next unveiling of Yamaha will be YZF-R25; which was first shown at the Tokyo Motor Show.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install