Yamaha India Recalls YZF-R1 Over Faulty Head Light Lead Coupler
By greeshma m | March 19, 2014 5:06 PM EST
Yamaha Motor's concept 250cc motorcycle R25 is displayed at the 43rd Tokyo Motor Show in Tokyo
The recall is limited to the YZF-R1, which were manufactured between October 2008 and August 2013 and the company would replace the headlight sub lead in these vehicles. The recall is in accordance with the requirements of the parent company Yamaha Motor .Globally, the Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere is also being recalled along with the YZF-R1 bikes.
"Yamaha Motor Co., Japan, has determined that a defect which relates to headlight lead coupler overheating and melting exists in YZF-R 1 motorcycle falling within certain production numbers. This headlight sub lead must be replaced at the earliest in the motorcycles falling within certain production numbers," the company said.
[Check here to know whether your motorcycle is affected]
The replacement will be carried out free of cost and the owners of the aforementioned two-wheelers are requested to check if their bikes are affected. The company also asked the owners to avoid using the YZF-R1 motorcycle until the problem is fixed.
"For your convenience, Yamaha is initiating a factory modification campaign, where the affected motorcycles must get the headlight sub lead replaced with a modified one," the company said on its website.
Powered by a 998 cc liquid-cooled, four-stroke, DOHC, four-valve engine, YZF-R1 is retailed at ₹14.50 lakh in India. The engine delivers a power of 182.1 PS at 12,500 rpm and a torque of 115.5 Nm at 10,000 rpm. It measures 2,070 mm in length, 715 mm in width, 1,130 mm in height and has a wheelbase of 1,415 mm.
In India, recalling the vehicles have become a common affair after the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) introduced a voluntary recall policy in July last year.
Meanwhile, Yamaha website revstation.com has started the countdown for the launch of its next offering. Although the video on the website does not reveal the product, rumours suggest that the next unveiling of Yamaha will be YZF-R25; which was first shown at the Tokyo Motor Show.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Hungry Jack’s Joins McDonald’s Australia Monopoly Campaign With McOpoly Promo
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Surge Expected Soon as Analysts Predict iPhone Opening Weekend Sales
- Furore Over Facebook Mark Zuckerberg $10m Fortress In San Francisco
- Alibaba Sells Extra Shares; IPO Raises $25B, Breaks Global Record
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4