Sheffield Shield Player of the Year Goes to Marcus North
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 19, 2014 4:57 PM EST
A leading run scorer in the competition, Marcus got 19 poles much ahead of New South Wales batsman Ryan Carters and Queensland captain James Hopes, who both stand with 16 polls each.
North tops the scorers list as he bagged 884 runs, having an average of 68, including three centuries and five half-centuries.
His role as an off-spinner also played a crucial role for the Warriors throughout the season as he picked 12 wickets at an average of 22.
The left-handed batsman and right hand spinner also picked up three wickets in the match against New South Wales last week.
North has faced a turbulent time this season as he lost his brother in a road accident in November. However, he regained his balance to prove him the best in the domestic cricket scene.
Following his recent success, North seemed hopeful to receive call from Australia's test team if he continues to keep up with the performance.
In women's cricket, the WNCL Player of the Year award goes to Nicole Bolton of Western Australia for the second time. On the other hand, Victoria's opening batsman Elyse Villani was awarded the WT20 Player of the Year award.
Villani had a wonderful season as she bagged 494 runs at an average of 54.9 from 12 WT20 matches. She finished with 13 votes ahead of Victorian Meg Lanning.
Rounding up in other categories, ACT Comets all-rounder Vele Dukoski was awarded the Futures League Player of the Year, West Australia's Michael Bailey was awarded the Lord's Taverners Indigenous Cricketer of the Year. On the umpire's front, Simon Fry was awarded the Cricket Australian Umpire Award.
For team award, Western Australia was awarded the Benaud Men's Spirit of Cricket Award, while Victoria bagged the Benaud Women's Spirit of Cricket Award.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS