Sony Xperia Z1, Z1 Compact, Z Ultra Android 4.4.2 KitKat Confirmed; Timeshift and 4K Video, Tap to Wake, Smart Call Handling Not Ported
By Ryan Inoyori | March 19, 2014 4:12 PM EST
Sony Xperia Z1 and Z1 Compact official Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware is soon to head over users after certification from PTCRB. Xperia Z Ultra new Android KitKat 14.3.A.0.747 firmware leaked out via screenshot.
Sony Xperia Z1 and Z1 Compact Android 4.4.2
Owners of Sony Xperia Z1 and Z1 Compact will get Android 4.4.2 KitKat update soon after PTCRB certified in March 18 the 14.3.A.0.681 firmware build running the said OS version. It is compatible for both smartphones and their variants including Xperia Z1 C6943 and Xperia Z1 Compact D5503 according to Xperia Blog.
The same firmware leaked recently along with its system dump files. Moreover, Sony did not seem to allow porting of several exclusive apps from Xperia Z2 to Xperia Z1 and Z1 Compact such as 4K video recording, Timeshift video, Tap to wake up, Smart call handling, Smart backlight control and Glove mode, since they found nothing on the mentioned firmware.
Sony Xperia Z Ultra Android KitKat Leaked
Android 4.4.2 KitKat 14.3.A.0.747 firmware build leaked from Digi-Wo grabbed by Xperia Guide revealing the latest version for Xperia Z Ultra. Previous build version 14.3.A.0.681 running Android 4.4.2 KitKat was released for Xperia Z Ultra via Over-the-Air update and considered an internal leak or designed for a developer's handset.
However, the new firmware leak confirmed that there are some exclusive apps from the latest Xperia Z2 flagship smartphone. Users of Xperia Z Ultra will be able to experience Xperia Z2's simple home launcher, movie creator and answering machine.
System Dump Files
According to EXR Group from XDA developer forum, Xperia Z Ultra Android 4.4.2 KitKat running build version 14.3.A.0.681 contain selective files of exclusive apps ported from Xperia Z2 smartphone.
Xperia Z Ultra running the leaked ROM of Android 4.4.2 KitKat 14.3.A.0.681 version will be able to use the following Xperia Z2 features:
1. Simple Home Launcher
2. Movie Creator
3. Answering Machine
But certain camera apps on Xperia Z2 are not available on the leaked Android KitKat firmware such as Timeshift and 4K video recording, Tap to wake up, Smart call handling, Smart backlight control and Glove mode. It is also unknown if Sony will add Timeshift video and 4K video on the Play Store via Sony Select which they did for several other camera apps for Xperia smartphones running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
Luckily, owners can attempt to port several apps of Xperia Z2 including camera modes on their current smartphone which has been rooted and runs Android 4.3 Jelly Bean stock ROM.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'Dragon Age Keep' Guide: How To Use And Set Up Background Story For 'Dragon Age Inquisition'
- Google Nexus 6 Sold-Out Inventory: Android 5.0, Motorola-Nexus Branding, Network Carriers, Competitive Price
- ‘Destiny': Apocalypse-Themed Sparrows, Pumpkin Head Weapons As Contents For Halloween
- The Xperia Z3: A Review On Sony’s New Flagship
- Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Developer Edition Now Available At $699.99, Without Instalment Plan Options
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery