Malaysia Airlines MH370: Search Task is "a Needle in a Haystack”, Australia Admits
By Athena Yenko | March 19, 2014 4:05 PM EST
The search area for the missing Malaysia Airlines MH370 now became larger than the total land mass of Australia. Malaysia's acting Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein announced that the entire search area is now 2.24 million square nautical miles. That is 7.7 million square kilometres, and Australia's land mass is approximately 7.6 million square kilometres.
On Monday, Australia was tasked to lead the search across the southern vector towards Indian Ocean from an area of 3,000 kilometres south-west of Perth, covering 600,000 square kilometres of ocean. This area was calculated through plotting satellite data obtained from last known signals from MH370.
With this, John Young, Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) emergency response general manager, said that a description for the search task handed to Australia is "a needle in a haystack."
The recent confirmed report on the missing MH370 was that it could have veered off in one of two different directions: north-west into Asia or south-west into the Indian Ocean. After veering off towards either of these routes, MH370's tracking system was deliberately turned off.
Even with the overwhelming task, Mr Young said that Australia will conduct assessment of the area every day.
"We will be moving the search area according to the movement of and weather influences every day. When the aircraft actually get out there and see the real conditions and get experience with the search we will modify our thinking, but at the moment it's a large area with aircraft that are towards the end of their operating limit. So they get a short period of time in the search area and that dictates it's going to take quite a long time."
Mr Young said that the priority of the search being conducted is being able to locate if anyone had survived.
"We are taking this search very seriously. I am describing it as a possibility. The aircraft could have gone north or south. Our purpose is firstly to find anyone alive if there is anyone to be found [and] secondly, to prove or discount the possibility that the aircraft came south - to do that would be a significant development in the search," Mr Young explained.
Three Australian P-3 Orions had already been provided by the Royal Australian Air Force. The fourth plane will be launched on Wednesday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers