Melbourne Victory Beats Yokohama F Marinos
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 19, 2014 3:59 PM EST
In a tight match at the Asian Championship League, Melbourne Victory sweeps out Yokohama F Marinos by 1-0.
The goal was scored at the first half by Kosta Barbarouses in the eighth minute, when Jimmy Eggo chanced upon the weak midfield of Yokohama, passing it on to Kosta who made no mistake scoring the winning goal.
On 26 minutes, the match seemed to have been going towards a draw when Yokohama's Saito Manabu surged within the penalty box, which looked like a sheer penalty kick, got avoided. The cross also appeared to strike Pablo Contreras's arm, but fortunately, was unnoticed by the young Malaysian referee.
More chances followed for Victory right in the first half, but they struggled to keep the fluency handling the ball.
The manager of Victory, Kevin Muscat, stated his side had to "withstand a barrage of pressure."
"There was a certain desperation tonight in that final third to stand up and really defend and not concede. That was an improvement on the last game against Jeonbuk."
However, Muscat decided to keep his national team players Tom Rogic and Mark Milligan on the bench.
In the next half of the game, Yokohama was aggressive, putting pressure on Muscat when Sato Yuhei missed a good chance that went wide from the goal. On 54 minutes, substitute Jungo Fujimoto got another fine chance, but unfortunately, the ball rattled the crossbar.
The second half also saw some changes when Muscat sent Mark Milligan for Leigh Broxham to strengthen the midfield.
The match also gave chances for Adrien Leijer back in the team after a brief hiatus for his facial fracture.
This was one crucial match for Melbourne to keep them going in the league.
The two teams will meet again in a fortnight in Japan. Yokohama coach Yasuhiro Higuchi is optimistic their team will emerge against all odds.
He said, "As long as we win the remaining three matches, we will be able to progress."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown