Canadian Family Accused with Identity Theft, Faces 114 Fraud Charges
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 19, 2014 3:21 PM EST
A Canadian family residing in Calgary have been slapped with identity theft, spanning at least 114 fraud charges. Police alleged the family - a couple, two of their children and their daughter-in-law - pocketed $56,000 in the scam that involved Home Depot credit cards.
The entrance to The Home Depot store is pictured in Monrovia, California in this file photo taken August 13, 2012. Home Depot Inc reported a higher-than-expected quarterly profit on Tuesday as it kept a tight lid on costs to offset weak sales, sending shares in the world's largest home improvement chain up 3 percent. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni/Files
Constable Tanya Bertulli said the investigation against the suspects was a very complex one because it involved 19 people who were victimised in 43 incidents.
"The fact that it was a family alleged to have all been involved is quite unique . . . And the extra steps (to avoid detection from police), I have not generally seen in any investigation I've done."
Charged were Jennifer Marie Shepherd, 27 years old; Andrew James Shepherd, 32 years old; Carol Lee Shepherd, 52 years old; Darcy Frederick Shepherd, 50 years old; and Sarah Annie Savoie, 30 years old.
Police authorities said the five suspects allegedly stole the personal identification of people from parked vehicles in Calgary, Banff and Invermere, B.C., between March 2012 and October 2013.
They then used the stolen information to apply online for Home Depot credit, Ms Bertulli said.
The credit, at approximately $1,500, was used to purchase Home Depot gift cards from stores in Calgary, Edmonton, Red Deer, Airdrie, Okotoks and Cranbrook, B.C.
They would then sell the fraudulently purchased gift cards through online sites at discounted prices.
But then Home Depot Canada got suspicious and brought the matter to Calgary police.
"These were too-good-to-be-true offers," Ms Bertulli said. "There may have been pressure sales as well. It's possible the individuals felt if they didn't take this deal, it would disappear."
The five face the following charges:
- Jennifer Marie Shepherd - charged with 29 counts of identity fraud, 31 counts of fraud under $5,000, nine counts of laundering proceeds of crime and eight counts of breach of recognizance;
- Andrew James Shepherd - charged with three counts of identity fraud, four counts of fraud under $5,000 and four counts of laundering proceeds of crime;
- Mom Carol Lee Shepherd - charged with four counts of identity fraud, four counts of fraud under $5,000 and two counts of laundering proceeds of crime;
- Dad Darcy Frederick Shepherd - charged with three counts of identity fraud, four counts of fraud under $5,000, and two counts of laundering proceeds of crime;
- Sarah Annie Savoie, Andrew's common-law spouse - charged with seven counts of laundering proceeds of crime.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools