Oz Dairy Tampers Expiry Dates, China’s CCTV Claims
By Athena Yenko | March 19, 2014 2:07 PM EST
Oz Dairy, an Australian milk company which exports baby formula globally, was accused of tampering expiry dates on cans of baby formulas.
The accusation was made by China Central Television's (CCTV) 15 Gala, a show televised yearly on March 15 as a commemoration of World Consumer Rights Day.
The show, 15 Gala, particularly called for state media's responsibility to expose erring foreign and Chinese companies. The show aims to provoke the government to go after the companies after an expose'.
According to the program, Oz Dairy is guilty of tampering expiry dates of approximately 20,000 cans of baby formulas, extending the expiration date by a year. The host said that a Chinese distributor found the tampering before the products were rolled out for selling.
Oz Dairy denied the accusation.
Speaking with ABC, Oz Dairy Managing Director Christopher Murfett said that their products were within dates and that the erroneous expiry labels were honest mistakes. He said that dairy products from Australia are the best in the world and coverage similar to what CCTV will not just affect the company, but could affect Australian milk industry as a whole.
"The infant formula hasn't expired. It's simply a print mistake on a label. We're sincerely apologising to the China government and the China community. Unfortunately, it happened through a process through the factory. We've addressed it and we've made sure that [it] can't happen again. It's certainly put a dampener on our product itself for the Oz Milko brand," Mr Murfett said.
For its part, Oz Dairy recalled 20,000 cans from China and targets to export replacements with proper expiry labels.
Australia's milk export grew when a melamime scare affected China's dairy industry. In 2008, a Chinese company was accused of deliberately putting chemical melamime into their milk which caused the death of 6 children among the 300,000 people poisoned.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Sydney Software Firm Bigcommerce Teams Up With Alibaba To Beat Amazon
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related