Malaysian Airlines Flight 370: Opposition Leader Anwar Ibrahim Admits Link to Pilot of Missing Jet
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 19, 2014 1:57 PM EST
The apparent political motive of the pilot of the missing Malaysian Airline Flight 370 in diverting the Boeing 777 jet is becoming clearer. Malaysian Opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim admitted on Tuesday that he is related to Zaharie Ahmad Shah, the captain of the missing jet, through Mr Anwar's son-in-law.
A man travelling on a stolen passport on the missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 was a young Iranian who has no links to terrorists.
The former deputy prime minister previously denied links with Mr Zaharie, although reports said that the pilot attended the trial of Mr Anwar who was sentenced by a Malaysian court to 5 years prison term for sodomy. The pilot was also seen wearing a black T-shirt with the words "Democracy is Dead" right after the trial.
After a few hours, he left for the airport for the trip. His wife and three children, meanwhile, left their home a day before.
Mr Anwar said politicising Mr Zaharie's connection to him is wrong. "We should respect the family's rights and pray for them instead of prosecuting him before the investigation is completed," Mr Anwar said, quoted by The Star.
He added that he had met Mr Zaharie a few times at party functions.
Their link has led to speculations that Mr Zaharie hijacked the plane to protest Mr Anwar's sodomy conviction, but the Opposition leader rejected the theory.
He said, "I believe 90% of taxi drivers support me and are not happy with the decision. But they did not hijack their taxi to Kajang."
Mr Anwar said he has no personal contact with Mr Zaharie, except that the pilot is his follower on Twitter.
Vietnamese Navy Hasn't Located Yet Wreckage of Missing Malaysian Airline Jet
Empty Nester Queensland Couple Among the 7 Aussie Passengers Aboard Missing Malaysian Airlines Flight 370
Malaysian Flight 370: Stolen Passports Used by 2 Passengers Raises Possibility of Terrorism Involved
Malaysian Airlines Flight 370: Fate of Missing Jet Still Unknown; Oil Slick, Floating Debris Not from Boeing 777
Malaysian Airline Flight 370: Interpol Says Disappearance of Boeing 777 Jet Unlikely a Terrorist Attack as It Identifies 2 Iranian Men as User of Stolen Passports
Malaysian Flight 370: Airline's Share Prices Takes a Nosedive to 1/10 of March 2004 Value After Jet Disappears
Malaysian Flight 370: Tech Expert Downplays Ringing of Missing Plane Passenger Cellphones; Holder of Stolen Italian Passport Posted Selfie in FB Before Boarding Ill-Fated Flight
Malaysian Flight 370: Chinese Satellites Observed Suspected Crash Area Between Malaysian, Vietnamese Waters
Malaysian Airline Flight 370: Investigators Study Possible Link of Ughur Chinese Passenger With Flight Simulation Training, Search Homes of Flight Crew
Malaysian Airlines Flight 370: Islamic Organisations Criticise Use of Witch Doctor to Locate Missing Jet
Malaysian Airlines Flight 370: Are the Hijackers of the Missing Jet Linked to Same Group Behind 9/11 Attack?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Woman Accuses Labor Leader of 1986 Rape When She was 16; Shorten Admits Being Probed But Says He Was Cleared
- Islamic State: ISIS Warns It May Blow Up Chicago or Washington DC
- Islamic State: Foley Family Believes James Could Have Volunteered Beheading to Spare Lives of Fellow Hostages
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao KOs Philippine Taxman as Supreme Court Stops Agency from Requiring P4.2 Billion Surety Bond from Champ
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop