New York Knicks News - Phil Jackson: “No Doubt, Carmelo Anthony is in the Future Plans”
By James Patrick Quizon | March 19, 2014 1:10 PM EST
The trade rumours and speculations about Carmelo Anthony’s future with the New York Knicks can stop for now after the franchise’s newest hire, Phil Jackson declared that indeed he has “no problems with committing to saying Carmelo is in the future plans.”
Phil Jackson poses during news conference announcing him as the team president of the New York Knicks basketball team at Madison Square Garden in New York
In his first-ever press conference as the Knicks’ president for basketball operations, Jackson addressed the media and answered questions from the press including the ones about the NY’s star forward.
"There's no doubt about Carmelo being one of the top scorers in the league, maybe the best individual isolation player in the game. I have no problems with committing to saying Carmelo is in the future plans.” said the 68-year-old former NBA head coach and player.
"I think there are a number of things I see Carmelo doing as he moves forward. And I think I was on record saying a year ago that I think Carmelo, as great a player as he is, still has another level he can go to. And I hope together, with the team we create, he can get there."
Jackson is banking on Melo’s versatility as a scorer—his ability to move from the small forward to power forward spots—something that is highly valuable in the Zen Master’s “triangle” system in Chicago and Los Angeles where he won multiple championships.
"[Carmelo] showed in the last Olympics that, coming off the bench and playing a role as a bench player on a magnificent team that won a gold medal, that he can play a role if he has to play a role," Jackson said. "I think he's a basketball player, and that's what players want to be able to do. They want to be able to cut, to pass, to be in different spots on the floor. To attack or to play. I think that Carmelo will be just fine. I see no problem in it.”
Before the official announcement of the hiring of Jackson, Anthony already welcomed the move and that he is willing to adjust his game if the Zen Master demands it.
"I'm a chess player. That was a power move right there. You know what I mean?" Anthony said in an ESPN article on Saturday. "So now we're going to see what's the next move, but that was a great power move."
Jackson has won a total of 13 titles—two as a player and 11 as head coach for the Lakers and the Bulls while Anthony is still looking for his first NBA championship in 10 years in the league.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Rumours Spice Up as Balotelli is Spotted in New York, where Gunners will Hold Pre-season Camp [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales