New York Knicks News - Phil Jackson: “No Doubt, Carmelo Anthony is in the Future Plans”
By James Patrick Quizon | March 19, 2014 1:10 PM EST
The trade rumours and speculations about Carmelo Anthony’s future with the New York Knicks can stop for now after the franchise’s newest hire, Phil Jackson declared that indeed he has “no problems with committing to saying Carmelo is in the future plans.”
Phil Jackson poses during news conference announcing him as the team president of the New York Knicks basketball team at Madison Square Garden in New York
In his first-ever press conference as the Knicks’ president for basketball operations, Jackson addressed the media and answered questions from the press including the ones about the NY’s star forward.
"There's no doubt about Carmelo being one of the top scorers in the league, maybe the best individual isolation player in the game. I have no problems with committing to saying Carmelo is in the future plans.” said the 68-year-old former NBA head coach and player.
"I think there are a number of things I see Carmelo doing as he moves forward. And I think I was on record saying a year ago that I think Carmelo, as great a player as he is, still has another level he can go to. And I hope together, with the team we create, he can get there."
Jackson is banking on Melo’s versatility as a scorer—his ability to move from the small forward to power forward spots—something that is highly valuable in the Zen Master’s “triangle” system in Chicago and Los Angeles where he won multiple championships.
"[Carmelo] showed in the last Olympics that, coming off the bench and playing a role as a bench player on a magnificent team that won a gold medal, that he can play a role if he has to play a role," Jackson said. "I think he's a basketball player, and that's what players want to be able to do. They want to be able to cut, to pass, to be in different spots on the floor. To attack or to play. I think that Carmelo will be just fine. I see no problem in it.”
Before the official announcement of the hiring of Jackson, Anthony already welcomed the move and that he is willing to adjust his game if the Zen Master demands it.
"I'm a chess player. That was a power move right there. You know what I mean?" Anthony said in an ESPN article on Saturday. "So now we're going to see what's the next move, but that was a great power move."
Jackson has won a total of 13 titles—two as a player and 11 as head coach for the Lakers and the Bulls while Anthony is still looking for his first NBA championship in 10 years in the league.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Iggy Azalea Sex Tape: The Story So Far
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone
- iPhone 6 Plus Phablet Features Only 1 GB RAM