Another Pretty Woman: Miss America 2003 Erika Harold Dreams of Becoming First Black Female U.S. President
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 19, 2014 10:31 AM EST
Crimea's new attorney-general, Natalia Poklonskaya, turned a lot of Japanese netizen's heads when she held a press conference to announce the latest political development in Crimea.
Read: Attorney General.docx" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Pretty Woman: Japanese Netizens Notice Beautiful Crimean Attorney-General
Soon, Chicago may have their own version of a young and pretty public servant in the person of former Miss America 2003 Erika Harold who is aiming to represent Illinois' 13th district in the Republican's primary election on Tuesday.
However, the ultimate dream of the 34-year-old Harvard law school graduate is to be the U.S. first black female president. She shared that vision with students at East St Louis High School in the same year she was crowned Miss America at age 22.
She is running against the incumbent, Rep Rodney Davis. Mr Davis is favoured in the primary and was preferred by 14 county GOP chairman in 2012 over Ms Harold. During that race, the ex-beauty queen was belittled by one local as a "streetwalker" and the "lovechild" of the DNC, although the offensive official later resigned and was rebuked by RNC Chairman Reince Priebus.
Ms Harold said she was actually asked by GOP gubernatorial candidates to run as lieutenant governor for the state, but she turned down their offer because she felt she would be most competitive in the 14th district.
Other beauty contestants had used their pageant experience to enter politics. The list includes the 2008 Republican VP candidate Sarah Heath (Palin) who was third placer in the 1984 Miss Alaska pageant, Miss Hawaii 2012 Lauren Cheaper who is now state house minority whip and Ms Harold's contemporary, Miss America 2003 third runner-up Teresa Benitez-Thompson, who was elected to the Nevada assembly in 2010 and chairs the committee on government affairs.
Certainly, the days of the dumb blonde beauties are numbered.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Canada Claims Good Progress in EU Trade Pact Despite Germany’s Defiant Postures
- ACCC Targets Australian Companies Over Scrapped Carbon Tax; Orders Virgin, Qantas to Explain Why No Savings to Give Back to Consumers
- EU & U.S. Announce Further Sanctions against Russia
- Kim Dotcom Banks on 5% Youth Vote in New Zealand September Election
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- CCTV Footage Captured Children Being Beaten To Sleep And Physically Abused Inside Nursery
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report