Australia Cuts $1 Billion Worth of Red Tape by Getting Rid of 10,000 Redundant Laws
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 19, 2014 9:36 AM EST
On Tuesday, he told Parliament, quoted by Yahoo News, "This is essential if we are to get our competitiveness and our productivity up ... It will be the biggest bonfire of regulations in our history."
Since the Abbott administration came to power, it claims to have found $350 million potential savings by removing the administration cost of the carbon and mining taxes - which were the election promises of Mr Abbott when he was still Opposition leader - and easing checks on financial advisers.
The government would also place the administration of the parental leave payments to Centrelink, which would save business and charities $48 million annually, while using a simplified government tendering process and electronic payment system could save government another $38 million.
It also plans to open a one-stop shop for environmental approval of major projects that could save also $120 million a year.
The Coalition will introduce legislation on Wednesday, expecting the lower house would approve it next week. However, the Labor and Green parties warn that the planned amendments to the law could have a negative impact on Australian families, business and the environment.
Opposition leader Bill Shorten pointed out that changes to accountability in financial planning system could expose industry to another crisis, while Greens leader Christine Milne called the planned repeal of so many laws in just one day as farcical. She vowed the Greens would examine closely planned amendments, particularly those related to the environment and women in workplace.
The likely scrapping of mandatory reporting of gender composition for businesses with more than 100 workers is being anticipated and opposed by feminists.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers