Titanfall Cloud Performance Elucidated; Anti-Cheat Measures to be Deployed Soon
By Aditya Bhat | March 19, 2014 2:31 AM EST
New details on the fast-paced FPS title Titanfall are out. Respawn had spoken about the performance of the Cloud before its release but many have complained that the Xbox Live Compute function is nearly absent.
Titanfall was launched on 11 March.
Shiring explained that Xbox Live Compute runs on Azure and everything is "commoditized". He also says that players are bounced from one server to the other and no player can get his server and stay there for long time.
"There's a lot of things we're doing in [Titanfall] that's really different from how any other game has done it before. In sort of the traditional model of dedicated servers is you go to your server and that is your home base and you love it," said Shiring. (See Also: Titanfall Problems Guide)
"One of the key things that is interesting about the Xbox Live Compute that runs on Azure is that they've commodotised servers so much, that we just don't care. I can ask for a server, use it for 10 seconds, and then go like, 'ah we don't need it anymore' and throw it out. (See Also: Titanfall Review Roundup)
"We bounce people around server to server, and so you're hitting a lot of different servers and that let's us do cool things. But it completely upends the old model of like, 'I'm going to find my server and stay there forever'."
He also said the team was having difficulty in understanding how a lot of things like matchmaking, skill of the players would work out. He adds that it was also interesting to see all this develop. He adds that once the game was out, it was all settled since matches are played on servers in Titanfall.
"And so there's been a lot of interesting changes because of that idea that's gone through everything from matchmaking and skill and how we do the training in the beginning of the game and all these things that are - no one's really tried before and kind of left everyone scratching their heads for a while when we were figuring out how we were going to do it. But it was really interesting to me.
"And I know that the internet is very skeptical that this is real. Hopefully less so now that Titanfall is out and they realize that they really are playing on these servers out there.
"You're not going to find all these home consoles that have the amount of CPU and bandwidth you need to be broadcasting that there's 400 things moving this frame. It just melts down everything that is there. So once we can just tell the designers, 'yeah don't worry about it, just spawn that thing and make it move. It's fine.'"
Meanwhile, Shiring also promised on Twitter that Respawn is working on deploying an anti-cheat system for Titanfall.
"We have anti-cheat but it is not enabled yet--it will be soon. This is important to us," he said on Twitter. "Whoah Whoah. We ARE catching them. We are not yet ENFORCING it," he added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories