Titanfall Cloud Performance Elucidated; Anti-Cheat Measures to be Deployed Soon
By Aditya Bhat | March 19, 2014 2:31 AM EST
New details on the fast-paced FPS title Titanfall are out. Respawn had spoken about the performance of the Cloud before its release but many have complained that the Xbox Live Compute function is nearly absent.
Titanfall was launched on 11 March.
Shiring explained that Xbox Live Compute runs on Azure and everything is "commoditized". He also says that players are bounced from one server to the other and no player can get his server and stay there for long time.
"There's a lot of things we're doing in [Titanfall] that's really different from how any other game has done it before. In sort of the traditional model of dedicated servers is you go to your server and that is your home base and you love it," said Shiring. (See Also: Titanfall Problems Guide)
"One of the key things that is interesting about the Xbox Live Compute that runs on Azure is that they've commodotised servers so much, that we just don't care. I can ask for a server, use it for 10 seconds, and then go like, 'ah we don't need it anymore' and throw it out. (See Also: Titanfall Review Roundup)
"We bounce people around server to server, and so you're hitting a lot of different servers and that let's us do cool things. But it completely upends the old model of like, 'I'm going to find my server and stay there forever'."
He also said the team was having difficulty in understanding how a lot of things like matchmaking, skill of the players would work out. He adds that it was also interesting to see all this develop. He adds that once the game was out, it was all settled since matches are played on servers in Titanfall.
"And so there's been a lot of interesting changes because of that idea that's gone through everything from matchmaking and skill and how we do the training in the beginning of the game and all these things that are - no one's really tried before and kind of left everyone scratching their heads for a while when we were figuring out how we were going to do it. But it was really interesting to me.
"And I know that the internet is very skeptical that this is real. Hopefully less so now that Titanfall is out and they realize that they really are playing on these servers out there.
"You're not going to find all these home consoles that have the amount of CPU and bandwidth you need to be broadcasting that there's 400 things moving this frame. It just melts down everything that is there. So once we can just tell the designers, 'yeah don't worry about it, just spawn that thing and make it move. It's fine.'"
Meanwhile, Shiring also promised on Twitter that Respawn is working on deploying an anti-cheat system for Titanfall.
"We have anti-cheat but it is not enabled yet--it will be soon. This is important to us," he said on Twitter. "Whoah Whoah. We ARE catching them. We are not yet ENFORCING it," he added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- PS4 News: An Update On Project Morpheus And 2 More Games Coming To It
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. Asus Zenfone 4 Price And Specifications Comparison [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘World Of Warcraft Warlords Of Draenor' Patch 6.0.1 Beta Notes Update For The Classes Including Druid, Rogue And Priest [WATCH VIDEO]
- LG G Flex vs. HTC One M8 Specs And Price Comparison In Australia
- 'Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare' Details Exo Suit Options As A Potential Movie Leak Gets Spotted
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features