Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Anti-Congress Alliance Taking Shape in AP, Pawan Kalyan May Join
By Rama Mohan | March 18, 2014 9:58 PM EST
A tri-party anti-Congress alliance of Telugu Desam Party (TDP), Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Jana Sena is apparently taking shape in Andhra Pradesh (AP), particularly in Seemandhra region. Behind the scenes, it is said that TDP chief Chandrababu Naidu and Pawan Kalyan already met and discussed about the election alliance. BJP has already expressed its inclination to ally with TDP.
Telangana & Seemandhra
Having understood that Congress won't come to power in Seemandhra, Congress leaders' exodus into TDP was continuing, while its leaders - Raghuveera Reddy and Chiranjeevi were scheduled to take a poll tour in campaign buses from 21 March 2014.
Taking the advantage of Pawan Kalyan's announcement that he is ready for a poll tie-up with all non-Congress parties, BJP veteran leader Venkaiah Naidu has expressed to go with Jana Sena, the party launched by the maverick Telugu hero actor. Venkaiah Naidu has stated that within a week the party will finalise its poll alliances in AP.
Meanwhile, TDP has received a shot in the arm with scores of Congress leaders joining it in Seemandhra. Buoyed by the exodus of Congress leaders, Chandrababu said that his party can win all the 25 parliament seats in Seemandhra. He expressed confidence that TDP will play a pivotal role in forming the next government at the Centre. Witnessing the trend of Congress leaders' defection to join TDP, some Union ministers like Kavoori Sambashiva Rao were also mulling to join the regional party.
Seemandhra region Pradesh Congress Committee president Raghuveera Reddy has announced that the party will hold poll tour in bus from 21 to 27 March 2014 in the remant AP (excluding Telangana). Along with Reddy, Union Tourism Minister Chiranjeevi and other ministers are also expected to lead the poll campaigning.
In Telangana, Congress leaders claim that crossovers of Congress leaders into Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) has come down as Rahul Gandhi has announced that he, along with his mother and party president Sonia Gandhi and sister Priyanka will tour AP before 30 March. It is said that Rahul is convincing party leaders who wanted to abandon the party to join TRS, not to leave the party. Thanks to Rahul's initiative, two MLAs, who were planning to join TRS, decided to remain in the party.
The two MLAs received a phone call from Rahul, who convinced them not to leave the party. One of the two MLAs - Nandishwar Goud from Patancheru in Medak district said: "He (Rahul Gandi) told me that the Congress was a party of backward classes and advised me not to leave the party. I informed him that I did not want to quit, but some people were creating such conditions," Zeenews quoted.
On the other hand, Jaganmohan Reddy's YSR Congress still rules out TDP's chances of sweeping votes in Seemandhra and Telangana. He says he will ally with whichever paties that form the next government at the Centre. His party is also contesting in Telangana region, where his mother Vijayamma is to campaign extensively.
Andhra Pradesh, comprising both Telangana and Semandhra, has 42 Lok Sabha seats and 294 Assembly seats.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen