Archaeologists Find 3,200-Year-Old Skeleton With Cancer
By Parismita Goswami | March 18, 2014 9:19 PM EST
Archaeologists have found 3,200-year-old skeleton of a man with metastatic cancer that is common in today's modern lifestyle.
Archaeologists Find 3,200-Year-Old Skeleton Found With Cancer
The remnants of the man believed to be between 25 to 35 years of age, were found in 2013 by a team of researchers from Durham University and the British Museum in a tomb in Sudan, close to the banks of the river Nile.
The bones showed evidence of cancer that spread throughout the body of the skeleton. A close examination of the corpse using radiology and scanning electron micrograph showed lesions on the bones with cancer causing tumors on the collar bones, upper arms, shoulder blades, pelvis, thigh bones and vertebrae.
"Insights gained from archaeological human remains like these can really help us to understand the evolution and history of modern diseases," said Michaela Binder, a Ph.D. from Durham and the lead researcher of the finding who examined and excavated the skeleton.
"Our analysis showed that the shape of the small lesions on the bones can only have been caused by a soft tissue cancer ... though the exact origin is impossible to determine through the bones alone." He said.
Despite being the leading cause of death today, cancer had no archaeological records as compared to other diseases, which gave rise to the thought that cancers solely belong to modern lifestyle.
However, the new findings suggest that cancer is not a disease of modern day, but were even prevalent in ancient times.
Though it is not clear as to what may have caused cancer in the man, researchers believe it may have been due to genetic factors or due to environmental carcinogens like smoke from wood fires or from schistosomiasis, an infectious disease that is caused by parasites.
The details of the findings have been published in the Plos One Journal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- 'Human Skull' Found On Mars [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting: UFO Spotted Above Las Vegas, Nevada
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientists Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- Alien Toy Doll Found On Mars [Watch Video]
- Leonardo DiCaprio Donates $2M To Fight Illegal Fishing And Support Oceans
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage