Archaeologists Find 3,200-Year-Old Skeleton With Cancer
By Parismita Goswami | March 18, 2014 9:19 PM EST
Archaeologists have found 3,200-year-old skeleton of a man with metastatic cancer that is common in today's modern lifestyle.
Archaeologists Find 3,200-Year-Old Skeleton Found With Cancer
The remnants of the man believed to be between 25 to 35 years of age, were found in 2013 by a team of researchers from Durham University and the British Museum in a tomb in Sudan, close to the banks of the river Nile.
The bones showed evidence of cancer that spread throughout the body of the skeleton. A close examination of the corpse using radiology and scanning electron micrograph showed lesions on the bones with cancer causing tumors on the collar bones, upper arms, shoulder blades, pelvis, thigh bones and vertebrae.
"Insights gained from archaeological human remains like these can really help us to understand the evolution and history of modern diseases," said Michaela Binder, a Ph.D. from Durham and the lead researcher of the finding who examined and excavated the skeleton.
"Our analysis showed that the shape of the small lesions on the bones can only have been caused by a soft tissue cancer ... though the exact origin is impossible to determine through the bones alone." He said.
Despite being the leading cause of death today, cancer had no archaeological records as compared to other diseases, which gave rise to the thought that cancers solely belong to modern lifestyle.
However, the new findings suggest that cancer is not a disease of modern day, but were even prevalent in ancient times.
Though it is not clear as to what may have caused cancer in the man, researchers believe it may have been due to genetic factors or due to environmental carcinogens like smoke from wood fires or from schistosomiasis, an infectious disease that is caused by parasites.
The details of the findings have been published in the Plos One Journal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Latest UFO Sighting Arizona: Couple See A Strange House That Appears Out Of Nowhere And Disappears, MUFON Report
- Astronomical Events October 2014: Blood-Red Total Lunar Eclipse, Solar Eclipse, Two Meteor Showers And Other Occurrences To Watch Out For
- Couple Who Paid Young Girls To Stomp Puppy To Death Gets Life Sentence
- NASA's Curiosity Rover Discovers Water On Martian Soil: Mars Not A Dry Planet
- Malaysian Flight MH370 Latest Update: New Search Images Reveal Unknown Seabed Details In The Indian Ocean [Watch Video]
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money