Battlefield 4: Dragon's Teeth Expansion Pack Detailed; New Teaser Trailer of Naval Strike DLC [VIDEO]
By Aditya Bhat | March 18, 2014 8:47 PM EST
Despite its problematic launch, Battlefield 4 is trying to shed off that image and is enticing gamers with new stuff like the supposed two-handed ballistic shield on its upcoming downloadable content (DLC) like the Dragon's Teeth Expansion Pack.
Battlefield 4 will get Naval Strike DLC, late March.
The Dragon's Teeth Expansion Pack will reportedly bring into Battlefield 4 a ballistic shield that will stop bullets from entering the area. Ryan Duffin, senior animator at DICE explained it at the ongoing GDC 2014 at San Francisco on 17 March at the animation bootcamp talk. (See Also: Battlefield 4: DICE Releases New Xbox One Updates)
He said that the team were trying to bring in a ballistic shield ability into the game which can be shot with a handgun, but this approach was not successful due to memory constrains in current-generation video consoles like PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
"We didn't have enough memory. It added about a megabyte, but a megabyte on a 2006 console is a lot, so it didn't work out," said Duffin, Polygon reported.
So, the team made the ballistic shield a two-handed move as a movable cover shield. But this move make players unable to use the handgun at the same time because they will be using it for the shield. However, the shield will help players to make melee attacks with a one meter range. This ability will also help the squad-based type of gameplay.
"There was a lot of resistance at first. But the more we assessed it, the more we realized it was a better feature," he added. "It turns out that stopping bullets in a first-person shooter is a ton of fun. We're confident that it will create a new dynamic for the game."
The Dragon's Teeth Expansion Pack is expected to be released in summer 2014. However, there are no much details on the expansion pack apart from the fact that the gameplay will be based on Urban Warfare.
New Teaser Trailer of Naval Strike DLC
(YouTube Courtesy: Battlefield)
Naval Strike DLC that is expected to launch in late March gets a teaser trailer ahead of its full length trailer on 19 March. The teaser trailer burst out with fast paced chaotic combat that any Battlefield 4 player would love to take out his boat and go and attack an aircraft carrier. The DLC is based on sea-based warfare and assault on carriers. Players of different factions attack an enemy carrier with new weapons and amphibious hovercraft vehicle.
This DLC will also have four new maps and ten new assignments. Players who are Battlefield Premium members will have access to it two weeks prior to its sale.
At a recent, Ask Dice session where, Gustav Halling, lead gameplay designer answered questions relating to the Naval Strike DLC.
He said that the design philosophy was to "expand on what makes naval warfare and water-based vehicles fun in Battlefield 4."
He went ahead and revealed the four new maps where players will wage war - the tropical Lost Islands map, Wave Breaker map, Stormy Weather of Nansha Strike and Operation Mortar.
Halling also explained that players can strategically use their environment and weather that will play a key role. He revealed that the new hovercraft, ACV is a fast transport boat that will travel between water and land in a seamless fashion.
He also took covers off new gadget, M320 3GL and new Anti-Heli Mine for players playing as Engineers. The DLC will also involve a new mode, Carrier Assault that is done as homage to Battlefield 2142's classic Titan mode where player will have to attack aircraft carriers using missiles and infantry.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- Sony Xperia Z3 Launched In Japan Has 32 GB Storage Compared To 16 GB International Model
- How To Update LG Nexus 4 To Android 4.4.4 KitKat Using LiquidSmooth Custom ROM
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’