Battlefield 4: Dragon's Teeth Expansion Pack Detailed; New Teaser Trailer of Naval Strike DLC [VIDEO]
By Aditya Bhat | March 18, 2014 8:47 PM EST
Despite its problematic launch, Battlefield 4 is trying to shed off that image and is enticing gamers with new stuff like the supposed two-handed ballistic shield on its upcoming downloadable content (DLC) like the Dragon's Teeth Expansion Pack.
Battlefield 4 will get Naval Strike DLC, late March.
The Dragon's Teeth Expansion Pack will reportedly bring into Battlefield 4 a ballistic shield that will stop bullets from entering the area. Ryan Duffin, senior animator at DICE explained it at the ongoing GDC 2014 at San Francisco on 17 March at the animation bootcamp talk. (See Also: Battlefield 4: DICE Releases New Xbox One Updates)
He said that the team were trying to bring in a ballistic shield ability into the game which can be shot with a handgun, but this approach was not successful due to memory constrains in current-generation video consoles like PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
"We didn't have enough memory. It added about a megabyte, but a megabyte on a 2006 console is a lot, so it didn't work out," said Duffin, Polygon reported.
So, the team made the ballistic shield a two-handed move as a movable cover shield. But this move make players unable to use the handgun at the same time because they will be using it for the shield. However, the shield will help players to make melee attacks with a one meter range. This ability will also help the squad-based type of gameplay.
"There was a lot of resistance at first. But the more we assessed it, the more we realized it was a better feature," he added. "It turns out that stopping bullets in a first-person shooter is a ton of fun. We're confident that it will create a new dynamic for the game."
The Dragon's Teeth Expansion Pack is expected to be released in summer 2014. However, there are no much details on the expansion pack apart from the fact that the gameplay will be based on Urban Warfare.
New Teaser Trailer of Naval Strike DLC
(YouTube Courtesy: Battlefield)
Naval Strike DLC that is expected to launch in late March gets a teaser trailer ahead of its full length trailer on 19 March. The teaser trailer burst out with fast paced chaotic combat that any Battlefield 4 player would love to take out his boat and go and attack an aircraft carrier. The DLC is based on sea-based warfare and assault on carriers. Players of different factions attack an enemy carrier with new weapons and amphibious hovercraft vehicle.
This DLC will also have four new maps and ten new assignments. Players who are Battlefield Premium members will have access to it two weeks prior to its sale.
At a recent, Ask Dice session where, Gustav Halling, lead gameplay designer answered questions relating to the Naval Strike DLC.
He said that the design philosophy was to "expand on what makes naval warfare and water-based vehicles fun in Battlefield 4."
He went ahead and revealed the four new maps where players will wage war - the tropical Lost Islands map, Wave Breaker map, Stormy Weather of Nansha Strike and Operation Mortar.
Halling also explained that players can strategically use their environment and weather that will play a key role. He revealed that the new hovercraft, ACV is a fast transport boat that will travel between water and land in a seamless fashion.
He also took covers off new gadget, M320 3GL and new Anti-Heli Mine for players playing as Engineers. The DLC will also involve a new mode, Carrier Assault that is done as homage to Battlefield 2142's classic Titan mode where player will have to attack aircraft carriers using missiles and infantry.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'World Of Warcraft’ Brings Back The ‘Gaze Of The Black Prince’ Buff From Sept. 2-16, 2014 After ‘Warlords Of Draenor' Patch 6.0.1 Beta Notes Update [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition': Romancing Solas, Morrigan's Human Side And Dragon Age Keep User Interface
- ‘Destiny’ Updates: Devs Talk About Raids and ‘Destiny’ Preorder And Preloading
- 7 New Video Games Set To Be Released On Sept. 2, 2014 Including ‘Warframe,’ 'Sims 4' And 'Dance Central Spotlight' [WATCH VIDEOS]
- A Curved Screen And 3G Connectivity Features of the Samsung’s Gear S Smartwatch
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged