IPL 7 News: Delhi Daredevils Appoint Kevin Pietersen as Captain for Upcoming IPL Season
By Deepak Vikraman | March 18, 2014 8:40 PM EST
The Delhi Daredevils announced Kevin Pietersen as their captain for IPL 7 with Dinesh Karthik named the vice-captain.
Pietersen was bought by the Daredevils for Rs 9 crore during the IPL player auction, with Delhi expectedly using their right to match card, after initially deciding against retaining a single player from last season.
"Kevin Pietersen will captain the all new look Delhi Daredevils during the seventh edition of the Pepsi Indian Premier League," the franchise said in a statement. "Wicketkeeper-batsman Dinesh Karthik would be the vice-captain."
The former England player, who missed the entire last season through injury, will be available for the full campaign this year, after the ECB decided to sever ties with the player.
Pietersen, at his best, is one of the most feared batsmen in the T20 format, or any format actually, and his experience will no doubt be welcomed by the Daredevils franchise.
"I feel incredibly honoured to have been asked to captain the Delhi Daredevils in this year's IPL," Pietersen said. "I am very much looking forward to working alongside [coach] Gary Kirsten.
"We have a fantastic squad with a good blend of youth and experience and a brilliant coaching set up. We hope to bring our incredible fans a lot of happiness this season."
Karthik was bought by the Delhi Daredevils for a mammoth Rs 12 crore, and was the second costliest player in the entire auction, only behind Yuvraj Singh.
Much will be expected of the wicketkeeper/batsman, who impressed with the Mumbai Indians in their IPL title-winning campaign last season.
"I am really thankful and honoured on being appointed as the vice-captain of Delhi Daredevils cricket team. I also thank GMR Group and Delhi Daredevils for having the faith in me," Karthik said.
"I am looking forward to working under legends like Kevin Pietersen and Gary Kirsten and show my full support and faith for the team. I will try and take the team to a newer level and achieve great things."
Pietersen, coach Gary Kirsten and Karthik will now for an interesting think-tank for the Daredevils and it remains to be seen how the season pans out for the Delhi franchise.
"I am looking forward to working with Kevin Pietersen as the captain of the Delhi Daredevils," said Kirsten, who guided India to the World Cup title in 2011. "It will be great to have him with us for the full duration of IPL and I have no doubt that he will have a positive and significant impact.
"Dinesh Karthik, who has been appointed as vice-captain will also form part of the leadership team. He has a lot of experience of playing the IPL and he will offer valuable inputs into our game plans and strategies during the tournament."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown