Anurag Kashyap Miffed with Aamir Khan’s “P.K.” Christmas Release
By Ankita Mehta | March 18, 2014 8:29 PM EST
The Christmas release of Aamir Khan starrer "P.K." (Peekay) has angered "Bombay Velvet" director Anurag Kashyap.
Anurag Kashyap and Aamir Khan
Kashyap had earlier mentioned that "Bombay Velvet", starring Ranbir Kapoor and Anushka Sharma, is one of his most ambitious projects. He had also booked 25 December (Christmas) date for the release of his film.
Earlier, it was only "Bombay Velvet" that was supposed to release during Christmas but Khan later announced that the release of "P.K." has been postponed from 6 June to 25 December.
In January, Khan took to Twitter to reveal that he has locked his lucky date (25 December) for the release of his new film.
Hey guys, PK release date is finally locked.... this Christmas.... my lucky date!!! Jai Ho!!!
And it has now emerged that the news of the Rajkumar Hirani directorial arriving on same day as his film has angered Kashyap.
"All it would have taken is a phone call. I heard the rumours and called Raju to tell him that if they were indeed planning a Christmas release to please let me know in advance. At that point, they said there were no such plans," Kashyap told Mumbai Mirror.
"It hurts because I respect Raju as a filmmaker and as a person. Apart from being a colleague, he is also a friend," he added.
It is a known fact that Christmas is a lucky period for Khan. Last year "Dhoom 3" was released during the period, and it created several records and became the highest grossing film ever. And even before that his superhits like "Ghajini" and "3 Idiots" were released during the Christmas Day in 2008 and 2009 respectively, with the latter going on to become the highest grosser film worldwide, till the release of "Chennai Express", "Krrish 3" and "Dhoom 3".
So when asked whether he is worried about the commercial prospects of "Bombay Velvet" being affected due to "PK", Kashyap told Mumbai Mirror: "Right now, I am focused on making a spectacular film. I'm not concerned about the marketing blitzkrieg at this point. It's obvious that both films will be affected if they release on the same day. We may sort that out at a later stage."
Hirani remained unavailable for comment. Apart from "PK" and "Bombay Velvet", John Abraham starrer "Welcome Back" is also set for the same release date.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China