Anurag Kashyap Miffed with Aamir Khan’s “P.K.” Christmas Release
By Ankita Mehta | March 18, 2014 8:29 PM EST
The Christmas release of Aamir Khan starrer "P.K." (Peekay) has angered "Bombay Velvet" director Anurag Kashyap.
Anurag Kashyap and Aamir Khan
Kashyap had earlier mentioned that "Bombay Velvet", starring Ranbir Kapoor and Anushka Sharma, is one of his most ambitious projects. He had also booked 25 December (Christmas) date for the release of his film.
Earlier, it was only "Bombay Velvet" that was supposed to release during Christmas but Khan later announced that the release of "P.K." has been postponed from 6 June to 25 December.
In January, Khan took to Twitter to reveal that he has locked his lucky date (25 December) for the release of his new film.
Hey guys, PK release date is finally locked.... this Christmas.... my lucky date!!! Jai Ho!!!
And it has now emerged that the news of the Rajkumar Hirani directorial arriving on same day as his film has angered Kashyap.
"All it would have taken is a phone call. I heard the rumours and called Raju to tell him that if they were indeed planning a Christmas release to please let me know in advance. At that point, they said there were no such plans," Kashyap told Mumbai Mirror.
"It hurts because I respect Raju as a filmmaker and as a person. Apart from being a colleague, he is also a friend," he added.
It is a known fact that Christmas is a lucky period for Khan. Last year "Dhoom 3" was released during the period, and it created several records and became the highest grossing film ever. And even before that his superhits like "Ghajini" and "3 Idiots" were released during the Christmas Day in 2008 and 2009 respectively, with the latter going on to become the highest grosser film worldwide, till the release of "Chennai Express", "Krrish 3" and "Dhoom 3".
So when asked whether he is worried about the commercial prospects of "Bombay Velvet" being affected due to "PK", Kashyap told Mumbai Mirror: "Right now, I am focused on making a spectacular film. I'm not concerned about the marketing blitzkrieg at this point. It's obvious that both films will be affected if they release on the same day. We may sort that out at a later stage."
Hirani remained unavailable for comment. Apart from "PK" and "Bombay Velvet", John Abraham starrer "Welcome Back" is also set for the same release date.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 29, 2014: Brooke Must Decide If She Will Continue With Her Plans Of Marrying Bill [WATCH VIDEO]
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate