Anurag Kashyap Miffed with Aamir Khan’s “P.K.” Christmas Release
By Ankita Mehta | March 18, 2014 8:29 PM EST
The Christmas release of Aamir Khan starrer "P.K." (Peekay) has angered "Bombay Velvet" director Anurag Kashyap.
Anurag Kashyap and Aamir Khan
Kashyap had earlier mentioned that "Bombay Velvet", starring Ranbir Kapoor and Anushka Sharma, is one of his most ambitious projects. He had also booked 25 December (Christmas) date for the release of his film.
Earlier, it was only "Bombay Velvet" that was supposed to release during Christmas but Khan later announced that the release of "P.K." has been postponed from 6 June to 25 December.
In January, Khan took to Twitter to reveal that he has locked his lucky date (25 December) for the release of his new film.
Hey guys, PK release date is finally locked.... this Christmas.... my lucky date!!! Jai Ho!!!
And it has now emerged that the news of the Rajkumar Hirani directorial arriving on same day as his film has angered Kashyap.
"All it would have taken is a phone call. I heard the rumours and called Raju to tell him that if they were indeed planning a Christmas release to please let me know in advance. At that point, they said there were no such plans," Kashyap told Mumbai Mirror.
"It hurts because I respect Raju as a filmmaker and as a person. Apart from being a colleague, he is also a friend," he added.
It is a known fact that Christmas is a lucky period for Khan. Last year "Dhoom 3" was released during the period, and it created several records and became the highest grossing film ever. And even before that his superhits like "Ghajini" and "3 Idiots" were released during the Christmas Day in 2008 and 2009 respectively, with the latter going on to become the highest grosser film worldwide, till the release of "Chennai Express", "Krrish 3" and "Dhoom 3".
So when asked whether he is worried about the commercial prospects of "Bombay Velvet" being affected due to "PK", Kashyap told Mumbai Mirror: "Right now, I am focused on making a spectacular film. I'm not concerned about the marketing blitzkrieg at this point. It's obvious that both films will be affected if they release on the same day. We may sort that out at a later stage."
Hirani remained unavailable for comment. Apart from "PK" and "Bombay Velvet", John Abraham starrer "Welcome Back" is also set for the same release date.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Kristen Stewart ‘Not In Love’ With ‘Equals’ Co-star Nicholas Hoult -- Reports
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch